Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon April 10, 2009
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Please excuse this reviewer's sad attempt at mimicking our ever-changing language with my title to this review. As someone who is most definitely not a poet, this book was absolutely enlightening. In it our oldest English nursery rhymes overtake "Clock Work Orange" and leave it in their board's wake. I'm having trouble not trying to use some of the universe of new slang that I learned from this volume. It's such a temptation to give it a whirl and maybe get "hip?" Obviously, most of my slang is very Stone Age.
I guess that we really don't have to concern ourselves that political correctness will censor us into mute serfdom. There is no way that any bureaucracy could possibly keep up with the everyday changes occurring in our daily language. Government-speak and evolving slang are on different courses to different universes. Our popular culture is changing every moment. Buffy and Bart, Homer and Hip-Hop are all popping the juice out of familiar terms. Slang enables the "in-group" to be and stay the opposite of the "out-group."
Here are a few of the current slang terms listed in just one section of this book. Unfortunately, I won't provide their meanings here, but they are all sexual and raunchy and from just one current source known as Eric B's Sly Records. You can buy the book and find the definitions yourself. If you feel you are with it, take a gander at these terms and fret: "box out dealin', brotisserie, doing laundry, double eye blinky, going bananas (a new definition of an even older slang term), ham-hocked, lobbin', mandruff, maple bar, road cunny, and slap five on her."
Three more that I particularly liked were "'tittoo' n Tattoo on a woman's breast, `tramp stamp' n Tattoo on the small of a woman's back, and `unload the groceries' v phr Vomit." If you are like me you felt like a stranger in a strange land trying to understand these terms. It's fun to see how they developed and are still being created and then morphing into still other words and phrases.
It would be impossible for me to even begin to describe all the information included in this brilliant thesis. And while it's fascinating and eye opening reading, it proved to be very slow reading for me. I kept pausing to actually sound out the terms in hopes of identifying the meaning and their source. Many of the most common slang terms come from similar sounding words with similar meanings. The writing is not overly academic but it does take serious time to digest what is being said. It reminded me of reading "Beowulf" in my first college English course. As one would expect, the book is full of interesting trivia such as the fact that Robert was in the middle ages a common name for the Devil. There is much, much more.
This is a nice highbrow dissertation on a lot of lowbrow terms being born into our language every minute of every day. The advent of text messaging or texting is speeding up the process and English may be unrecognizable a century from now?
|0Comment|Report abuse| Permalink