Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my indoor shots, March 14, 2014
This review is from: YONGNUO YN300-II 300 LED Camera / Video Light With remote For Canon, Nikon, samsung, Olympus, JVC, Pentax cameras and camcorders, 3200-5500K adjustable color temperature (Camera)
Two places I use this most:

Back-fill lighting behind my subject when using flash.
--When taking shots indoors this has been great to eliminate that harsh shadow created by flash. I'll eventually upgrade to a lighting kit but having two of these lit behind my subjects (3-4 people max) has really improved my portrait photography.

When my flash (Canon 600EX) is just too much light.
--Last Christmas I was able to get some really great shots of our cats with just the white lights from our Christmas tree. The effect was just what I was looking for as it illuminated my subjects face and nearby presents, but left everything else dark as I wanted it. I tried to create this with my flash but it was way to powerful. I wanted something that would give off a small amount of light and was portable. This YN-300-II does that and much more! I've since been able to re-create those shots with the low level of light needed, as well as change the "temperature" of the light, and take it everywhere I need it since it is fairly portable. Its so portable I can actually drop it into my large coat pocket. Rather than using the flashlight on my phone to increase subject lighting at those spur of the moment shots, I just pull this out and get my shot!

Cons:
This is the area where it looses 1 star. Not a deal breaker but something I wish Yongnuo would change:
1. Include the battery! Since it doesn't run off standard AA, C, or D Batteries this should really include the battery. I was able to pick one up for only 8 bucks on Amazon but I almost overlooked it and would have been very unhappy if I received my product, and THEN realized I had to buy the battery separately.
2. Lighting temperature controls. The temperature setting work great from the remote using the up/down arrows but not from the unit itself. This means I have to carry the remote with me anytime I want to use it.
3. Barn Doors should be black. There has been a couple instances now where I see random harsh light caused by the reflection on the barn door. Painted mine flat black which solved the problem, but would have been great if this was done from the factory.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]