Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

4.0 out of 5 stars A time for every seasoning......,, July 30, 2006
This review is from: Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep Plus Food Processor Brushed Chrome and Nickel (Kitchen)
A time for every seasoning......and a utensil for every purpose. The Cuisinart Mini Prep does not serve well as a primary processor for heavy jobs. That was not its intended design, or function. It is not a parmesan cheese grater nor does it compete with a sharp French knife for uniformly chopping onions.

I obtained my first mini prep as a promotional gift with a DLC-7 purchase. For many years they have been contributing to my cooking enjoyment as a problem-free, complimentary team in a busy kitchen. When their lexan lids eventually chipped, (which admittedly is a major cause of aggravation with Cuisinart's products) I opted to replace them rather than spend up to 50% of their new cost for replacement bowls. I upgraded the old DLC-7 that is still mechanically perfect, with a MP-14 TM Limited Edition.

The Mini Prep perfectly compliments larger processors.

The mini prep makes delectable, creamy homemade sauces and dressings. It performs equally well making pesto, creamed butter, chopped fresh herbs, including garlic, chopped nuts, small portion purees, deviled eggs, spreads, and speedy fresh salsas. It has a fast and slow lever whose function I like because they may be "pulsed" on and off with an instantaneous response. This offers a demanding cook tremendous control over several types of prep functions conducive to small processors.

Mini Prep seems perfectly designed to make small portions of emulsified sauces and dressings, such as cilantro mayonnaise for grilled fish, or a dollop on fresh grilled corn salad.

Here is a basic example of how I use this workhorse.

Herb mayonnaise: place dry seasonings, a dab of honey, poupon mustard, flavored vinegars, or lemon/lime juice in the jar. Pulse to mix. Add about a tablespoon (who measures?) of Just Whites, dry pasteurized egg whites to the liquid (no cholesterol, calories, or salmonellae fears) ---pulse to mix---add a hand full of fresh herbs (cilantro, or dill, or tarragon is nice)----pulse to chop slightly. Then use the wonderfully designed lid that holds oil and has two holes on the top that will drizzle in the oil of your choice, without opening the lid, or fiddling with additional attachments that drizzle oil. You have the additional control to shift the motor speed instantaneously from high speed, to slower, or pulse mode, in direct accordance to your temperamental sauce's precise requirement as it thickens.

Result: Restaurant quality chef's sauces come together effortlessly in minutes! Large processor's work bowls are too large for this type of job. One must repeatedly scrape the bowl's sides, and the motors are additionally too powerful to make small portions described above as successfully as the Mini Prep's performance.

The Mini prep is very lightweight which makes it a delight to store in the pantry. It assembles and disassembles quickly and effortlessly. I especially love the function of the two (tiny) holes on the lid, along with the ease of the lid's removal for ingredient additions. The design and function permit those who love to cook an opportunity to enjoy their creativity in the kitchen without fighting with obstinate, dysfunctional appliances.

It is a great convenience and a breeze to use. I love this little workhorse.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 24, 2014, 8:49:59 PM PDT
That wounds like something I could do in my blender. No need for this piece of equipment.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2014, 12:51:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2014, 8:11:43 PM PDT
Yes, indeed.
We all went to school with a few confused and disordered students who claimed a Staple Gun....
..... was the best solution for fixing their loose hem......

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014, 3:40:33 AM PST
Dana B. Read says:
Now that's funny! Personally, I'm truly looking forward to experimenting with your sauce recipe - sounds like it is fast and delicious! Thanks for sharing it!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014, 9:29:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2014, 8:33:09 PM PST
Thank you Dana. Here is my personal recipe for Green Goddess Dressing. I cook without measuring ingredients, so when I was asked for the recipe I wanted to be accurate for those who have never made it before and measured my ingredients.

Years ago, when Green Goddess first made the California scene, I believed it got its "green" from avocados and could not understand why my dressing was so lousy. Only to discover that the "green" is from Flat Leaf Italian Parsley and green onions.

TWO NOTES: It requires a larger capacity processor (it yields about one quart), and it is for the time when all ingredients are at their peak. Anchovies in glass jars, fresh sweet green onion, lovely Flat leaf parsley (curly parsley will ruin it). My husband loves this.
__________________________________________________________

Green Goddess Dressing - (Yield: 1 Quart approx.)

55 grams small mild green onions,
-about 8 with white/light green.

4 grams fresh tarragon leaves/ 5 sprigs/ 2 loose Tbs.

45 grams Italian flat leaf parsley (no curly parsley)
Loosely packed 1 ½ cup.

6 gr fresh garlic/ 2 cloves chopped.

10 grams Lawry's Seasoned salt.

20 grams anchovy filet GLASS PACKED in oil (huge difference!) (blotted with paper towel)or, anchovy paste one Tbs./ or, two inches or so.

Note: the faint-of-anchovy can use less.
The glass packed tend to be more delicate and it is an acquired flavor.
Even I back off the anchovy amount when the product seems aggressive.

45 grams vinegar (I use 50/50 Champaign and homemade tarragon)

2 lite shakes of McCormick black pepper/ 1/16 tsp. (yes cheap pedestrian McCormick for this)

140 grams water.
________________________________
7 grams of Just Whites powdered egg whites/ or, one Slightly Rounded Tbs. NOT heaping.

About 730 grams of canola oil. This varies greatly depending on your processing technique.
_________________________________

INSTRUCTIONS: Rough chop ingredients and add all except the last two ingredients (Just Whites and oil) to the processor work bowl. Mix for about 45 seconds, or until well chopped and the particles are about the size of pesto. Now, add the 6 grams of Just Whites and process a few seconds more until slightly frothy.

With the processor running, and the regular large feed tube attachment, slowly drizzle the oil in a very thin ribbon through the large opening. If you begin pouring in too aggressively with a heavy stream of oil (too fast), at first, the sauce won't emulsify and incorporate the oil. If you go too slowly, the sauce will not take on enough oil and the ratio will end up being be too salty and acidic. It is just like making mayonnaise. You can pour the oil somewhat faster once the sauce begins to set up. But use caution, too fast and your sauce will "break." There are remedies for this and it can usually be reversed but not without effort.

The sauce is very easy to make once you get the hang of the technique.

I like it thick, but looser than mayonnaise. Your amount of oil determines the thickness. Stop adding oil when you like the texture. It is a pretty green. It can be stored in a mason jar with a fold-over baggie on the top that is under the lid. I write the date on Scotch tape and use it within a few days. It is good on baked fish. Also boiled potatoes (think potato salad).
_________________________________
If you add whey from this: Yogourmet Freeze-Dried Kefir Starter -- 1 oz -see my review. - and set it on your counter for 12-hours, the microbial growth from the kefir's whey will allow you to safely store this and various mayonnaise dressings for at least a month in the refrigerator.

This book has some wonderful ideas for whey condiments and her mushroom ketchup recipe is delicious! (you can read it in the look inside section) Mastering Fermentation: Recipes for Making and Cooking with Fermented Foods
_________________________________________

Lastly, I hate to say this, but I much prefer this model of mini-processor. It is a little cheaper, not as fancy looking, but it is sturdier and I find the levers more functional than buttons. I just bought my second one in 20 years so that I was certain to have a back up. Cuisinart DLC-1SS Mini-Prep Processor, Brushed Stainless Steel

Regards~

Lastly, I have found these two scales to best suit my needs from 25 years of trial.

General cooking: Kitchen Scale - Baker's Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver

The above scale is correct within 2 grams. I use this scale for estate tea, bread's salt, etc. American Weigh Scales ACP-200 Digital Pocket Scale, 200 by 0.01 G Mine was $14.00. I spend that weekly on paper towels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014, 9:49:32 AM PST
Dana B. Read says:
Great! I thank you so much!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2014, 9:56:34 AM PST
A pleasure. I edited my comment. I originally said, "mix for 45 minutes" hahaha! Take care.

Posted on Apr 4, 2016, 6:41:45 PM PDT
Thanks so much for this review. I have been looking for a small food processor that has the ability to add liquids from the top. I downsized last year and have been using a small food chopper which is great but no top feeding! I gave away my oversized and difficult to clean Cuisinart and my blender so the search is on. Your review seals the deal on a choice between the Cuisinart and the Kitchen Aid.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2016, 6:53:35 AM PDT
Jai says:
LOL

Posted on Aug 13, 2016, 8:15:00 AM PDT
SeizeTheDay says:
Thanks for taking the time and care to write such a thorough review. Reviews like this benefit of us who are considering buying a product. And thanks for posting your recipe in the comments section; it looks delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2016, 9:38:36 AM PDT
Greetings Carpe Diem, I meant SeizeTheDay.
Thank you for the kind response. This is an older review. Today, I prefer the Cuisinart DLC-1SS Mini-Prep Processor over the Conair Cuisinart DLC-2ABC Mini Prep.

Both are made considerably more cheaply than the original models, and my original review. The Conair lasted 50% than the boxier (to some less attractive) DLC-1SS.

I am fortunate to have amassed a collection of processors over the years. These little unites are frequently used for quick sauces. They do not actually hold but - One and a Half cups gracefully, - not 4 cups they imply. This will be true of all Cuisinart processors' stated capacity; subtract 40% to 50% of what they state. Otherwise it will over-run the top and make a mess.

This said, if you are only purchasing one processor, this unit will limit you. It really is little more than a nice gadget. Don't get me wrong I have two now, and always have a back-up in case one fails.

If you only buy one and are budget minded, I would go to the next larger, a 7 Cup. For myself, I would buy the older boxier model with TWO levers (one for "ON" on one side and a "PULSE/STOP" on the other side.) I prefer these over the "sexier" new models with the rubber push buttons.

This is for several reasons: 1) you have to stop, look, and read which button to push; especially if you have several models. 2) The rubber's printing wears off. 3) The rubber is the weakest component of the unit and the buttons deteriorate. 4) They just feel creepy and there is not a defining moment when your push of a finger actually engages the function, as say, flipping a switch.

The boxy models are sturdier, although ALL Cuisinart products are but a shadow of their past quality. I don't rely much on their cheese grating capability - they are useless for that and they will burn out your unit.

The 10 Cup is an excellent size.
Oddly, the unite I rarely use is the 14 Cup. It is heavy and a chore to get out of the pantry, as well as too big and powerful for most needs.

I am very patient, price compare, and look for sales on such items. Research the stores, including Amazon. Often they have late summer sales. Prices tend to go up during Holiday shopping time. Go down after the holidays.

When you see a good price, SeizeTheDay,......I meant, carpe diem.
________________________________________________
PS. Hoosier Hill Farm Egg White Powder 1/2 ls available here, is the egg whites I use for mayonnaise now that Deb El seems to have gone out of business. Use about ½ teaspoon per batch. Place it in with about 2 tsp vinegar(s) - and/or lemon juice, about 2 Tbs water (this cuts the acidic bite) - if your sauce "breaks" cut back on water next time. Add your seasonings and herbs. Once your mix is frothy, begin incorporating your oils.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›