Spring Deals Automotive Children of Blood and Bone New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 26, 2002
I got this disc used at a bookstore in Washington DC a couple of years ago. What grabbed me was the cover photo - I had never heard of the band, but they looked like they were a no-nonsense gritty garage band. I had no idea what to expect.
I was initially surprised at variety of music they played, from rock to blues to rockabilly to Elvis-esque to mellow acoustic. (The disc also has bonus tracks, cover tunes, and live stuff). After listening to it the first time, I thought it was merely OK. After listening to it again, I started to hear the raw straight-to-the-amp guitar, the extended jams, and it's grown on me ever since. Liner notes make reference to Mick Jagger allegedly saying this album is better than the Stones' "Sticky Fingers" - I wouldn't go quite that far - but it's pretty darn close. (The piano player from the "Fingers" sessions even plays on 3 of the tracks.)
It was a lucky find for me - I recommend it.
What's this?