BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 23, 2012
Call Poor Moon by Hiss Golden Messenger what you want, but in short- this is a winner. From what little I know of this band, it essentially consists of songwriter M.C. Taylor and Scott Hirsch. I picked this album up on a whim upon hearing consistent raves about it. What's great about listening to this is I really don't know what to call this music. Is it country? Is it folk? Is it pop? Is it jazz? (I also heard a teensy bit of punk too). For my purposes, I like what David Bowie calls it: 'mystical country'.

Great lyrics and excellent song-crafting is prevalent throughout. The first two tracks, "Blue Country Mystic" and "Call Him Daylight" grabbed me from the get-go. I constantly go back to these two songs. The saxophone accompaniment on the former got me hooked, while the thumping beat and 'Mike Campbell'-esque guitar soloing on the latter did the same.
Other standouts to me include: "Drummer Down", "Jesus Shot Me in the Head", and "O Little Light". The instrumental "Pittsboro Farewell (Two Monarchs)" is a nice little ditty as well.

And yes, I dare say I also hear a little Morphine and Dire Straits on this album also. I apologize for the slightly choppy review, but I'm not used to listening to an animal like this one. Poor Moon caught me off guard. Try pegging this one! You can't! In short, if you like good songwriting to go all along with good music, dig in!
0Comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?