Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice TV...but needed to return to Amazon, September 22, 2010
This review is from: VIZIO E322VL 32-Inch LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Application, Black (2010 Model) (Electronics)
This is our first non-CRT television, so it's a big jump from our 20 inch portable.
It connected fine to the internet, and we were up and running with all the local channels pretty quickly.

The picture seemed a bit dark, but I think it was the broadcast. NetFlix videos were nearly flawless.
Our Wii console connected and worked fine. We don't have a DVD player hooked up to it, so I can't speak to the quality of DVD movies (it's in our lower basement level).

A couple of things:
1. Pandora app: only worked after I disabled the TV's DHCP setting.
2. The USB Port is useless - won't show photos. VIZIO Tech Support (very nice, by the way) indicated that the USB port is not activated for this model, but a firmware update will be "coming soon." I don't believe them. I think there is something wrong with this set. I'll try to post an update when I hear something.

Overall - I can't say too much about the TV until we've lived with it for a while.

Update: After a few days, we noticed that, when turned OFF, the television emitted a high-pitched noise. The noice stopped when the TV was powered back on.

After speaking with Vizio tech support (and going through futile "power cycles," Vizio scheduled a warranty service call. It is scheduled for September 30 - I'll update this post with the verdict.

...

Update:
The service company just left.
They replaced the power board, but the sound is still there (they claim they can't hear it after installing - which is BS).
I am going to give VIZIO one more chance to fix the problem, and then the unit's going back to Amazon and I'm getting another brand.

This is really too bad, since the TV works great otherwise - Internet apps work great, picture is great.

I don't want to say not to buy this TV - just be aware that this has happened to the unit I purchased.

...

Update:
Unfortunately we ended up returning this television to Amazon. We purchased an identical unit from Wal-Mart, and it made the same sound. Based on the fact that two TVs and a replaced power board didn't solve the problem, I concluded that this model from Visio will always make the sound and returned it.

We purchased a non-internet TV (Sony) and a Roku box. This combination works fine. The Sony isn't nearly as nice as the Vizio, and I need to grab a second remote, but this is an annoyance. We don't watch too much TV anyway, so it's not a big bother.

I would recommend Vizio only if you have a chance to return the set. I don't think all Vizio models will have this problem, but you can't be too carefull.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2010, 7:08:17 PM PDT
dbasims says:
Dan, did Vizio ever get your tv fixed? I bought the same tv and have noticed the same noise when it's off. The noise is not very loud, but this tv is in our bedroom and it bothers me at night. If it can't be fixed I'll be very disappointed. I really like the tv.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2010, 7:16:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2010, 8:22:25 AM PDT
Dustin,
No - the problem was never solved. Vizio offered to send a replacement, but I opted to purchase another brand (Sony) and a Roku box. I still think the Vizio picture was superior to the Sony, but I gave Vizio three chances and figured that this model has an inate problem with the standby high-pitched sound.
I returned the Vizio to Amazon for a refund. I'm disappointed it didn't work out. My kids actually liked the picture on the Vizio better, too.

Dan

Thanks
D.J.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010, 9:59:56 AM PST
dbasims says:
Not yet. They sent me a replacement, same model, but it makes the same noise. To be honest the noise is not terribly loud, but it is very high pitched and annoying. It sounds kind of like a flourescent light when the ballist is going bad. If the tv was in any room but my bedroom I'd probably be able to ignore it. But it bothers my sleep. My wife cannot hear it unless she stands next to the tv, but I can hear it across the room. So, i think it is a sound that some people are going to be able to hear and others will not.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010, 10:24:12 AM PST
Dustin,
This is EXACTLY the problem we had - I believe that there is an inherent issue with the components of this model.
I would recommend two things if you have a way to return the set to Amazon. If not, I would ask Vizio to exchange for another model (higher level) or just take the thing back and refund your money.

1. Another Vizio model (they're cheaper now than they were a couple months ago - maybe the LED version). It's possible other models aren't plagued by this. But only go this route if you can take it back immediately.
2. Another brand. We bought a Sony Bravia (same size and specs). We didn't get an internet-connected TV, but got a Roku box instead. This combination could allow you to buy a nicer TV and still have Internet streaming. Roku offers some nice alternative programming, too (classic Science Fiction and other interesting programming).

Good luck!

Dan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010, 12:56:22 PM PST
I have the same irritating high pitched noise coming from the speakers when the tv is powered off. Since I love the picture and internet apps, I came up with a solution....unplug the tv at night. No more noise, problem solved.....I'll let you guys know how it works for me :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010, 6:20:05 AM PST
Dan Georges says:
Vizio tried to tell me the TV should make no sound at all, and this is indeed the case with other models (I've checked with friends who have Vizios).

I think they're pumping out too many TVs in too short a time, and quality is suffering. The devices are slapped together in China or Mexico with no regard to quality building or quality control.

This is one of the reasons I will probably not purchase this brand, despite the excellent picture quality.

If you decide to buy a Vizio, I highly recommend an extended warranty. I seldom (never?) purchase these, but in this case, the risk is too great not to buy one...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2011, 10:01:18 PM PST
Casey says:
It must just be the internet TVs. I have a normal 32" Vizio and have never heard it, nor has my wife or guests.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›