Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Hear Bose sound before you bash it, December 26, 2008
This review is from: Bose SoundDock Series II 30-Pin iPod/iPhone Speaker Dock (Black) (Electronics)
I did quite a bit of research before getting the Bose SoundDock II. I wanted a dock that would work with my iPod touch 2G, have superb sound quality, and preferably charge my iPod while docked. Well I have to say that I got all i wanted and then some with this unit.

I read some reviews online written by "audiophiles" and supposed "sound experts" bashing Bose for selling overpriced and underpowered equipment. These people just don't get it. I won't go on to bore you in detail about the ridiculous things that were said but I will mention that these people are comparing the SoundDock to a home stereo setup that entails having a receiver with two separate wired speakers. Is this a fair comparison? I beg to differ.

To summarize this product it's a compact unit you can have in virtually any room in the house minus a bathroom (for safety purposes) and its sound can be described as warm and beautiful with deep enough bass to make your sound come alive but not wake the neighbors. Clear, never distorted at any volume. You get what you pay for.

Thanks Bose!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2009 5:47:17 PM PST
B. Howell says:
What's the difference between the 299.00 and 399.00 version?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2009 1:19:01 PM PST
the 399 version is portable (comes with a rechargeable battery) too, the 299 is wall outlet powered only.

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 10:06:28 AM PDT
J.Smith says:
"these people are comparing the SoundDock to a home stereo setup that entails having a receiver with two separate wired speakers."

Not true. There are many alternatives that are one-piece which will have better sound quality at a cheaper price than Bose. The bottom line is, you are paying a premium for the brand.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2009 10:51:01 PM PDT
Yes we do. It's nice having a product with a good reputation, as well as a name with a good reputation. We pay a premium because... just say the name Bose... does that sound nice to you?? Now put the sound quality you get from their products along with their great customer service, and their reputation. That is why there is a premium. Never will you be let down by Bose. Ever. It's worth the extra cash.. each and every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 2:37:26 PM PDT
Steven says:
Just say the name? Man those guys at Bose really are marketing geniuses!

Just do some real research. Sure Bose is the best sounding system where they are typically sold. A $1200.00 Bose setup certainly sounds better then a $200.00 Aiwa cheapie setup but I urge you to shop at a real stereo outlet. They have a great reputation with the populace because most people don't research very deeply and commit themselves to buy whatever is best at stores like Best Buy. Even the US Air Force dropped a multimillion dollar deal with Bose because the quality was so poor. Don't limit your research to what the guy at Mega-Mart tells you.

Posted on Dec 14, 2009 7:40:25 PM PST
L. Luu says:
Ok. I have heard all the debates bashing bose from all the "sound experts". But the question is for me what are the other options for a ipod/iphone docking station that has comparable sound, look and price? I am researching to get one and tried sony, jbl, and klipsch and they all suck. Would appreciate being enlightened by all the bose bashers to offer solutions not problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2009 8:42:23 PM PST
Greg C says:
I agree - I'm trying to find a comparably priced (or cheaper system) that sounds as good or better. After reading through complaints on this site for 15 minutes, I have yet to see an alternative product suggested. If you rail on Bose, please provide your alternative recommendation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2009 7:42:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2009 7:44:15 PM PST
Ken Maguili says:
What brands? I am really curious. I have heard the Bose in the local Apple store and compared it to the others. It simply sounds better, with a fuller, richer sound, than anything in its price and size class. Please tell me what comes close?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 6:58:14 AM PST
I love this! No one ever backs up their criticisms about Bose. Oh, you can buy a cheaper ipod dock that sounds better anywhere. You are right, not once have I ever heard of anyone backing it up. The majority of these ignorant people I suspect are just jealous that they cannot afford such a nice product. They say it's overpriced, but that's subjective. If I spend a certain amount of money on something they gives me joy and the sense of happiness, it's worth it. I'm sure you can get better sound with other setups, but nothing this sleep, beautiful and compact. Someone told me I should get the Kicker iK501 Digital Stereo System for iPhone and iPod (Black) instead. That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't even put that in my garage. I just bought the SoundDock 10 and I love it. If you guys want something that's going to fill up your entire living room and most of your house, you should think about it or just listen to it. Just don't get the Bluetooth adapter for it. It's terrible, it sounds so tinny and cuts out constantly. Enjoy your sounddocks everyone!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2010 11:04:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 6, 2010 11:05:07 AM PST
Steven says:
Okay, so maybe Bose has the best iPod sound dock, but when people criticize Bose they are criticizing their business practices, such as using a cheap single driver for their surround speakers, using super cheap low density fiberboard, the fact that the military dropped their contract with Bose because their headphones suck so bad - you know things like that. Their high end sound systems have been reverse engineered and Bose uses very cheap components but charges a flagship price. When a company has that sort of track record you start to lose trust in them. And about not being able to afford it - You're speaking like a true Bose-elitist. My sound system cost just as much (okay $100 cheaper) as my buddy's Bose system yet it sounds 10X better (even he admits this now). So it's not about not being able to afford it, it's about being a smart consumer and getting more bang for the buck.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›