Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on May 27, 2012
Vizio VBR337 - I got this at a retailer when I purchased a 3D tv a week ago. I liked the dual sided remote idea, since I have a slide-out keyboard on a vizio tv, and this seemed to be an improvement. However, the keys are made of a rubber type that is hard to press, and i kept missing key inputs.

Setting up wifi was a breeze, and Netflix was up and running in just a couple minutes.

The deal breaker was when I put in Avatar 3D. I was going to use this movie to compare my new tv with the 3D tv I have upstairs. There, I was using a ps3 to play avatar 3D, and it worked without a problem. However, when I inserted the bluray into the vbr337, it started up and said "your player needs a firmware update to play this movie". What?? A 3D bluray player that came out mid May 2012 can't play a movie from 2009? Well that's great.

That was the end of my testing. Wrapped it back up and back to the store it went.

The unit was pretty slick and cool looking, and I enjoyed the slot-in approach. The machine was quite a bit noisey for not having actually played any discs, though.

The easiest thing was to reset everything back to stock and deactivate all the apps. It took just a few seconds. Too bad this is only needed when returning or selling the player lol

Now, you may say "just update the firmware". Problem is, this unit JUST came out, so there are no updates available, plus I had the machine plugged to the network, and there was no option. The player would simply show the "update your firmware" message and eject the disc automatically. You may even try to argue that avatar 3D was originally a panasonic exclusive and therefore may not work on other players, but it worked perfectly fine on the ps3, and I'm not willing to be surprised with how many other movies might not play later on.

I did have other 3D movies I could have tried, but at that point I already knew I'd rather get another ps3, or a dual hdmi 3D bluray player (the receiver I'm using doesn't have HDMI 1.4)
11 comment| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.