Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Best series ever! Chelnak!, December 3, 2007
This review is from: Stargate SG-1: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
I'm going to assume, if you are thinking of buying this collection, you are a fan of stargate. So it goes without saying, it is one of the best shows ever. To say this is my favorite series of all time, would be a vast understatement.

Now on to what most people are here to know. Previously, I bought the stargate disc sets when they first started coming out (remember the big boxes, they were a real pain to get to fit anywhere!). I paid full retail for them, and watched them countless times. These dvd's got a heavy workout. And cost quite a bit. I own season 1-9 in the original box. I didn't buy ten because of this coming out (and I had a season pass on itunes). With that said, buying this set was still a no brainer for me.

The 4 discs that are included in this package are very indepth. They contain many video features that are 45 minutes in length (discs 1 and 2), and 20 minutes for the other features. Some, like the directors series run 8 to 10 minutes. I would guess their is approximately 8 hours of bonus features. My only complaint is the first disc is letterboxed opposed to widescreen, and disc 2 only has 1 (mythology) in widescreen, the rest are also 4:3 letterboxed.

The other complaint I have about this purchase, are the containers that house the discs. Several of my discs arrived in bad shape. On my first batch I got 26 discs that had a good amount of scratches on them, 4 of those had glue or some other white mass attached to the discs. I was able to rid them from the discs using a cleaner, but this is still very bad.

I own both the buffy and angel collectors sets, and I think all collectors sets should use a similar style. Buffy takes up as much room as 2-3 of my other tv show cases, and all of the discs arrived scratch free because they use cd holders opposed to cardboard. I cannot forget my horrible experience with Alias, I could not find one disc without a serious scratch. The stargate discs with scratches were small, light, surface scratches. They were able to play through (just finished a marathon session) with only a few discs exhibiting slight problems. Thanks to amazon's amazing customer service, a replacement set is on it's way, and with luck, I will be able to replace the ones with flaws for those without. (I would recommend only buying this set from amazon, if you buy from other places the discs could be horribly damaged, and you would be unable to request another set)

On my small shelf, I can fit the whole Stargate Collection as well as 2 seasons of another show, on the same small shelf. (opposed to 3 of my original stargate boxes only), so economy wise, you cannot get any better.

The box is beautiful, it is more muted compared to the image you see in the description, and the Stargate water does not glow as it does in the image. I love this set, the care and attention that went into designing it is fantastic. You also get a small book, that shows you the episodes, tv guide line, and any special feature that is located on each disc.

I cannot wait for the future movies (coming in march and july), and I truly hope MGM will release this show in a High Def format.

I highly recommend purchasing this set, and I eagerly look forward to a blu-ray or hd-dvd release of this in the future.

---------edit 12/04/07--------

I mentioned in my review Amazon sent me a replacement because of the badly scratched discs (overnighted even, wow, way to go amazon!), sadly this brought new attention to details I did not notice prior.

First, the new box I got, most every disc was perfect, the packaging arrived pristine (minus the fact that the box seems to be of lesser quality (coloring wise) and the logo is on sideways). The part about the case stinks, because my original box was smashed on the sides thanks to UPS, so I either keep it (damage is minimal) or go with the box with the cockeyed logo (no thanks).

On to another problem. As I said, this new box set, almost every disc was pristine. There were disc's with scratches, but very very few (maybe 5, and those were very light surface scratches, most every other disc was mint!). What I noticed upon replacing damaged discs with those that were not, was the new discs (and my old) had different printing. Some had that cheap hong kong bootleg copy coloring going on, while other were perfect, deeply saturated, and sharp. What is sad is many of my damaged discs from my first batch where sharp, and the replacements seemed to be incredibly dull and blurry (not the picture quality, I have yet to check that on these new discs, but I doubt those are changed).

It seems the studio is using different companies to produce these box sets. Discs in each set are both faded, and sharp (different discs throughout the set), on their own, they are un-noticeable. but when you stack them up with a duplicate set, or your older disc's, it becomes increasingly obvious.

Shame on this company for not having better quality control and using the same printing throughout!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2008 8:36:24 PM PST
Amazon Fan says:
Hi. Great detailed post. You said, "Thanks to amazon's amazing customer service, a replacement set is on it's way, and with luck, I will be able to replace the ones with flaws for those without. (I would recommend only buying this set from amazon, if you buy from other places the discs could be horribly damaged, and you would be unable to request another set) ".

So we're allowed to exchange only the flawed discs? If yes, that is way cool. I thought we had to send back the whole complete box set.

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2008 3:59:18 AM PST
Jason says:
you do have to send it back, but, wait until the new one arrives, replace disc's, then return the bad ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 7:53:01 AM PST
Jason says:
also, you do not need to pay for any additional shipping charges.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 11:33:33 AM PST
Thomas King says:
Maybe old news, but the logo can be rotated..

Hold the lid with the logo flat between two hands, and then move the whole lid through about a 1 foot circle, you'll get the logo to rotate a slight amount.. Repeat until it's where you want it.

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 11:30:38 AM PDT
No matter how much I love Stargate, Seasons 6-10 were crap compared to 1-5. Jack and Daniel's brotherly friendship was gone, a terrible plotline to create romance between Jack and Sam (even though it would never work), and the friendship between Teal'c and Daniel was never furthered. There was so much that went wrong with Stargate that the negative is often overlooked, even though they have a terribly massive impact on the show, making it stupid fun instead of a character-driven, sci-fi epic
‹ Previous 1 Next ›