Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

1,247 of 1,281 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars 5-star and 1-star reviews are both right, August 14, 2010
This review is from: The Mayo Clinic Diet: Eat well, Enjoy Life, Lose Weight (Hardcover)
Some reviewers give this book 5 stars, others give it 1. So how do you know whom to believe? I think I can help you.

This book is NOT for you if:
- You are looking for a magic weight loss plan, or a new theory of weight control
- You are looking for a lot of recipes

This book MIGHT be for you if:
- You subscribe to the old, tried-and-true formula for weight loss (eat fewer calories, exercise more), but need to know the details and need some help in getting, and staying, motivated.

The book is based on a version of the familiar food pyramid, and the diet can be summarized as: Eat a lot -- in fact as much as you want -- of fruits and vegetables (most of your favorites will be allowed, and you can eat them raw or cooked, and use fresh or frozen, and in some cases canned). Eat limited, though reasonable, amounts of carbs, protein and dairy, and fats. Exercise 30 minutes a day.

If you try it, good luck to you. I'm trying it, too; good luck to me as well.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2010, 10:30:52 AM PDT
xanz says:
The whole thing with reviews is that some make them so personal they mean nothing to me. Yours is great because it tells us, short and sweet, why some may find it a great book and others will donate it somewhere.

All self help helps someone. The real questions is, "Is this for me?" A good review of anything from movies to restaurants (aside from bad service is just bad service) will point out who may benefit and who may not.

THIS is how to write a review, boys and girls.

As far as the book, food has not changed much nor has the way the human body uses it. i don't know why people think there will one day be some discovery about food that will make us all thin in a week. One reviewer claimed it was just too simple. Fine, go read some mind boggling research, but it will still come down to the same basic principles.

i haven't bought the book, but i'm about to. From the reviews, it may be the hand i need to hold to learn to live a little differently. Little changes go a long way, but i never travel without a map.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 12, 2011, 12:13:30 PM PST
Zbig says:
xanz' review is spot-on; I could not agree more. Well done all around. I'm going to try it as well. Good luck to all of us.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012, 10:05:50 PM PST
E. D. says:
Bravo! I couldn't agree more! I LOVE this book because it educated me about something that I was completely ignorant of: What habits are healthy and what are not. I used to eat EVERY SINGLE MEAL in front of the tv. The first thing I did was buy a table and move myself into the kitchen. Suddenly, my hour long food marathons completely ceased. Who knew?

Posted on Apr 8, 2012, 3:11:26 AM PDT
RJ211 says:
Thank you very much for your review. It is very helpful and just what I needed to know.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012, 5:33:46 PM PDT

Posted on Jan 3, 2013, 8:34:04 AM PST
Mary A. Mace says:
Thanks for the short and sweet of it. I personally subscribe to thisparticular type of weight loss. I don't cook much and I don't like to cook and I can carry this with me in my kindle everywhere I go to keep me motivated. I already work out 30 min a day so that is not a problem but I need to break some very bad habits and need to adopt some better ones. I think this will get me going and keep me going.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013, 7:42:40 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2017, 11:23:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2013, 1:17:34 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013, 10:13:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2013, 10:20:11 AM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
So is that supposed to be a comment on the book, or some sort of funky math exercise? The actual weighted average rating is 4.14 stars, but unfortunately, Amazon's primitive rating technology won't even allow input of hundredths of a star. Too bad; if it had worked out to 4.18 or more stars, I'd have bought the book, but 4.14 is just a shade low. Geeeeze!

FWIW, I thought the actual review, by Mark Wilsonwood, and the comment by "xanz", were both insightful and helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2014, 11:29:16 AM PDT