on October 13, 2012
ARTISTIC LICENSE by Emerian Rich tells the story of Leslie Marietta, a lonely young woman who is the black sheep of a famous family of artists. When her story opens, she's informed her aunt has passed away and willed her estate to Leslie.

Thus begins a wonderful story with family secrets, Edwardian romance, beautiful magic, foul play, and shadowy creatures. I dare not say anything else lest I spoil the story, except to add you've probably never read anything like this before. I know I haven't, and as I was reading I kept saying to myself, "that's just so bloody cool!"

If I must give one of those comparisons one finds in a review, I'd have to say that this book was like reading DORIAN GRAY as if penned by Jane Austen, and presented by Rod Serling. It is the type of tale I have come to love from Emerian Rich.

It will please fans of her works from both the romance and horror camps that she has cultivated so well. It doesn't try too hard to force either genre, which works well I think. Horror fans will enjoy the suspense without dreading a sappy love story. Romance fans will fall in love without being shocked by gratuitous gore.

Furthermore, I don't know if she has plans for a sequel, but I for one would definitely read it if she does.
2 people found this helpful