Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing...., March 25, 2007
This review is from: The Self-hypnosis Diet: Use the Power of Your Mind to Reach Your Perfect Weight (Audio CD)
I own quite a few self-hypnosis CDs and I am a strong believer in the power of the mind and of self-hypnosis...

I bought this item and gave it a few chances...: sorry, no disrespect to the author or to the other reviewers but it is rubbish!: too much talking, not enough affirmations, very unpleasant voice (rather irritating to be honest!) and too fast...what a waste of money...

I do respect that other people have a different opinion about it, fair enough, but this is my personal review and I would certainly not recommend this item to anyone.

to Amazon staff : would it be possible in the near future to be able to listen to self-hypnosis CD, just like we can for other CDs, please?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2007 8:37:37 AM PDT
Dear Hazel, I am sorry you found both my work and my voice to be "unpleasant" and "irritating." I do have sound samples for all of my work at my website (www.healingwithhypnosis.com), CBbaby.com, and SoundsTrue.com. Perhaps others will listen to the samples for themselves and form their own opinion.
Dr G

Posted on Apr 1, 2007 6:19:48 AM PDT
Cath says:
I agree that everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion but I can't agree with this review. I have been a customer of Dr. Gurgevich for 3 years now and I find great comfort in his work and his voice. I hope others will sample Dr G's work and form their own opinion before making a decision based on this review. I fall asleep every night to Dr G's voice and I find great comfort in his voice. His work has helped me immensely and will always be a part of my healing journey.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2008 3:00:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2008 8:53:57 AM PDT
Cath says:
A note to this reviewer and others reading this review...
You said, "sorry, no disrespect to the author or to the other reviewers but it is rubbish!: too much talking, not enough affirmations"

Perhaps this will help you (and others reading this review) have a better understanding of Dr Gurgevich's work....

Dr Gurgevich studied with Milton Erickson.

Excerpts from Douglas O'Brien's website published by Healthmap Magazine...
"About Mitlon Erickson and Hypnotherapy"
"Hypnotherapy is simply the use of trance for therapeutic purposes. Traditional hypnotherapy uses commanding language called direct suggestion. This method sometimes works, but not for everybody. Some people resist these suggestions, perhaps because they resent authority figures, and they are sometimes labeled as "resistant", or worse, "unhypnotizable," by traditional hypnotherapists. But not all hypnotherapists believe in direct suggestions. In fact, Ericksonian hypnotherapy uses more of what it is called INDIRECT SUGGESTIONS. Indirect suggestions are much harder to resist because THEY ARE OFTEN NOT EVEN RECOGNIZED AS SUGGESTIONS by the conscious mind, since THEY USUALLY DISGUISE THEMSELVES AS STORIES OR METAPHORS."

And...
"Often, Erickson didn't use a formal trance induction. Instead he TALKS STORIES that has a deeper meaning. Sometimes that meaning was clear, MOST OF THE TIME IT WAS NOT At least not to the person's conscious mind"

So you see, to your conscious mind it might seem like "too much talking" but embedded within are clever suggestions for reaching your subconscious mind.... you just didn't realize it.
I hope this helps
Cath

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 11:00:48 AM PDT
I found the review to be very informative and, along with all the other reviews, encouraged me to look deeper before purchasing. It did not necessarily put me off because hypnotherapy is a massive market and it is a very subjective and personal preference. This is exactly why it is so important to have a number of opinions from a variety of reviewers.

I understand that reviews can be hurtful to the people who produce items, however, I was more put off by the apparently over-sensitive response by the author of the item. Reviews are meant to be an honest account and this one, I found was exactly that. That is seemed to it hurt Dr Gurgevich's feelings is more surprising to me than anything else. Perhaps I should be looking for assistance from someone with a higher self-esteem than this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 8:39:37 AM PDT
L. Thomas says:
I didn't feel the author feelings were hurt. I felt him trying to protect his work. We all have to realize, we are all entitled to our respectful opinion and move on. I do not believe the author has self-esteem issues! I believe you have went far and above to just comment on the work of the author.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 4:21:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2011 5:52:50 AM PDT
Thank you for this review and thank you for mentioning that Amazon supply a link to preview a CD. Just like you, many a CD has arrived home, popped in the player, and I simply cannot get the message - why? I've turned it off. For anyone who is primarily auditory in terms of how we intake information, a grating voice will send us to the rafters. Many an author would benefit so greatly by hiring a professional voice-over artist. That alone can send sales soaring and avoid critiques that focus on the delivery, and not the message.

Posted on May 19, 2011 4:57:47 PM PDT
J. A. Eyon says:
an honest review - and a helpful one - i'm giving you a positive vote

i generally click on the lowest reviews first since it seems that many positive ones seem to be written by shills - in your review i found elements that made me confident in you - by introducing yourself as a customer of similar CDs - by qualifying this as your opinion - etc

i was surprised at the author's response to you - he also seemed fair minded - and helpful

thank you Hazel for pointing out your issues with the product - taken together with the others - it'll help me make a decision

Posted on Nov 23, 2013 10:32:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2013 10:36:41 PM PST
Hazel,
I agree with you. This was the first hypnosis CD I bought. I tried to listen to it, but he seemed to wander so far from the point that I had to turn it off. Instead of 3 discs, one would have been sufficient. I found another CD that I really liked and it was helpful. It got right to the point and I have not tired of listening. Losing weight is going well because of it. I suppose whether you like it may have to do with your personality. I cannot tolerate it when people wander around an issue milking it ad nauseum. I like it when a person tells you succinctly what is needed in order to complete the task..

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2014 7:50:52 AM PDT
C.A. Kahl says:
Can you let us know what you have found helpful. I have a small collection and am always looking for ones supported by real reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2014 6:02:49 PM PDT
Relax Your Way to Thin! Hypnosis Weight Loss Motivation by Beverly Hills Hypnosis and Trevor H Scott.

This is my favorite. He is concise, direct and doesn't waste time droning on about the science of hypnosis which may be okay for a newbie but is only annoying to me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›