Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb contemporary political thriller - This review has NO "spoiler alert", November 1, 2011
This review is from: Masterpiece Contemporary: Page Eight (DVD)
PBS started a new series titled "Masterpiece Contemporary" to present films that take place in today's modern world (as compared to the Victorian era of most Masterpiece Theater program). This is one of those new shows. Why it didn't show up in their "Mastery" series is a mystery to me. Despite what a previous reviewer said there is a "mystery" here that is not revealed until near the end. But, I'm glad they did at least bring it to US audiences.

The film - with a script by David Hare (his first in 20 years) - wonderful and the cast is superb with Michael Gambon, Rachel Weisz, Judy Davis and Bill Nighy (in the main role) as an M5 Investigator (The UK's "intelligence unit).

I won't give the plot because it would spoil it. And I'll also suggest that you pass on the review titled "I'd Like Some Jazz " which really gives a lot of it away. Even the short description on the back of the DVD divulges info it's more interesting to discover as you watch the film.

This 105 minute film (yes it is 105 minutes on this DVD.. someone asked) is the "Original UK Version" so there is the F-Word - that didn't appear when it aired on PBS.

I watched this DVD knowing nothing about the film or plot and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a modern "spy/ political" film as up to dates as today's headlines.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 22, 2011 8:22:29 AM PST
J. Bertram says:
please tell me wether this series has subtitles in english or not..
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 2:27:59 PM PST
Steve Ramm says:
I don't have my copy handy but I don't think it had subtitles. The film is in English.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 5:55:31 PM PST
I do not have subtitles on mine, if that helps

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 9:36:34 PM PDT
MrOldMan says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2013 8:05:57 PM PDT
Steve Ramm says:
I don't know if everyone cares or not but I provided this as a piece of info for those who might want to know. It was included in my review for information purposes, not an opion as to whether it should be there or not.
Obviously you don't care; others might so I felt I should include it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2013 10:04:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2013 10:05:36 PM PDT
Thank you Steven I. Ramm; for reviewing the movie! I FOR ONE GREATLY APPRECIATE the fact that you let people know that there was no nudity, no sex, and there was an F-bomb! I am one of those people who would watch or not watch a movie based on the sexual content/nudity, and how much language is present.
I plan on watching the film based on your review, and I am very grateful! Thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2014 8:02:15 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 9, 2014 8:10:35 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 12, 2014 8:08:29 PM PST
The plot, characterisation, actors and dialogue are superb. I loved the clever and celebral repartee. And it is so English, absent the Hollywood superficial gloss. Highly recommended for the discerning viewer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2014 2:42:36 AM PST
Yes, some people DO care, & they have their own personal reasons that may or may not include their children being exposed to it. (Just because a child may inadvertently overhear a word, doesn't mean you want to further desensitize them to it by increasing their exposure to it!)
You say you don't care about the language in a movie, you care if it's "good or not." Language can tell you a lot about something or someone, so it is absolutely relevant to include its usage in a review. For example, what would you expect from a movie that had "f-bombs" used almost every other word? Would that indicate an intellectual type of movie to you? What if it was used in almost every sentence? Every few minutes? Every 15 minutes? How often is "acceptable?" In actuality, the "f-word" is NOT used by most people with any kind of frequency, & it can speak volumes about someone who does~ though it doesn't necessarily mean someone's "good" or "bad," it can suggest a lack of education, a poor vocabulary, or lack of self-control among other things. All something one might want to consider in deciding whether or not to invest almost 2 hours of their time allotted for "entertainment."
Yes, we all hear the word daily. I use it myself in certain situations when I deem it to be appropriate. But we all watch movies to escape reality, don't we? If I'm not in the mood to hear or watch certain aspects of this "thing called life," I appreciate a review that lets me know what to expect. So again, yes it does matter to many people & it's a valid concern if they feel it is.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›