BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 25, 2012
I received my miniPC via USPS yesterday in great condition - it took just 7 days to ship from HK, China to the bay area here in California. I ordered the 1GB DDR3 ram version (Android settings say Model number AK-MINI-PC-001, Android version 4.0.3, Baseband 4.0.11, Kernel 3.0.8+, Build crane_risctek-eng 4.0.3 IML74K 20120608 test-keys)

After thumbing through the included manual, I plugged it in to my Samsung 27" TV and powered it up. In less than two minutes, I was at an Android 4.0 desktop home screen (running in 1920x1080 resolution). It connected to my WiFi AP on the first try and seems to pull decent speeds even though my router is on the other side of my house and most devices only get ~50% signal in this room.

Overall, the OS looks like it has some tweaks. It's configured as a tablet with the status/notification bar at the bottom of the screen. Volume up/down buttons have been added to the bar in addition to the default back/home/switcher icons that 4.0 comes with by default. It seems to want to lag out occasionally when opening new windows or tabs in a browser (tried stock browser and Firefox beta so far - both work decent).

I would highly recommend this device to anybody who likes to tinker with Android hardware. It appears to have massive potential as a low-cost internet TV device and I cannot wait to dive into the software to start customizing it.
1010 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?