Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 27, 2012
This movie was made for my video-game-loving Aspie. She has dragged me to the theaters to see it a record five times, and a sixth trip is coming up. Set within the gaming world and allowing characters from different video games to interact, this movie validates the importance of what is most important in my daughter's world.

I think this movie exceeded all expectations:

1. Despite Christmas releases, it is still in the theaters.

2. A sequel is in the works.

3. GameStop only stocked one copy of the Wreck-It Ralph Wii game in each of their stores. A week or two after we bought ours for $30, we received a "buy back" e-mail for $15. I smell shortage.

My daughter enjoys counting the Sonic the Hedgehog appearances throughout the movie. (There are quite a few, but most so brief that you'd better not blink.) She loves her Felix plushie. She's written ten chapters of a fan fiction. She walks around chortling to herself about the Felix/Calhoun romance. In short, she is really engaged with this movie.

It also really engaged her emotions. When Ralph has his big destructive moment with Vanellope (I'm trying not to be too specific), she was in tears and turned to me and said, "I don't like how this is making me feel." But of course there was redemption.

The film is also not horrid for adults to sit through, and that's always a major plus. It moves so quickly; the plot cleverly zips along with problem-resolution at break-neck speed. And there are plenty of humorous moments for adults, particularly a Wizard of Oz reference. In every viewing I sat through, the people laughing the loudest were the adult men. And not one adult I've talked to saw the "big reveal" coming.

While after five viewings I believe I've pretty much gotten everything I can out of this movie, I can highly recommend it. Your gamer will love it. Your Aspie will love it. Your guy will love it. And it will not be too onerous for you to sit through. What more can you ask for from a kids' movie?
21 people found this helpful