Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 22, 2010
The fact that this dude speaks what he feels, against beats that arent mainstream, speaks volumes. I like Biggie, 2Pac, Face, and early Jay-Z as well, but that's where it ends. There is no more Biggie and Pac, a new Face album is rare nowadays, and Jigga is on his way out the door. NOT TO MENTION the fact the alot of rappers who try to emulate these cats wind up one hit wonders, or even worse, they go commercial and perpetually release weak albums. I am a fan of 'real' hip-hop, and what I mean by that, to clear up the confusion, is when someone speaks about their own experiences. If you never sold dope, then don't rap about it, etc. Few successful hip-hop aritists can follow this motto, probably out of fear or whatever but it doesn't get followed by the vast majority IMHO.

I don't know if you heard A kid name Cudi, Kid Named Cudi, but that to me was tight too. Maybe being from the MidWest (DETROIT) I can relate more, but I definitely felt that one too, especially 'Cleveland Is The Reason'. I front to back both these albums faithfully.

Personally, HIP-HOP NEEDS A DRASTIC CHANGE. Period. It was stated in another review [...], Hip-Hop has always done 3 things, and the 1st point was that it painted a picture of urban/street youth. That's true, but I have a question for you, at what point did urban/street youth start riding Bentley's and wearing 20 carat's of jewlery and a new pair of shoes everyday? Exactly, maybe 1% of them, yo D-boys and kids D-men, but that's it. So, why is all the HIP-HOP you hear nowadays about that? The majority of the hood can't afford that crap, and the music isn't uplifting them, it makes them feel insecure b/c they don't have this stuff, and makes them wanna rob and steal to get it. My moral compass tells me that's not right, and to be honest I get sick of listening to most of it. If they were really servicing the urban/street youth, instead of servicing their wallets, they would talk about their weaknesses, the struggles they overcame, and not about their wealth and fame. This IS something that Big and Pac did, and Face does, and something Jigga used to do, but even for him it's rare nowadays('You want my old stuff, buy my old album.' ?!?! Can you say crossed-over?)

Don't get me wrong, I listen to Jeezy and some other gangsta rap, and am a fan of Jigga still, and like it, but at a point the music becomes counterproductive to what hip-hop was supposed to be.

To sum it up, I give this album 5 stars and encourage him, Lupe, and any up-and-coming artists to make music about what they feel and what happened in their life, not about what's 'the norm', cuz we all know there is no such thing as the norm.
11 comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?