Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on April 1, 2011
As usual, Crucial does not disappoint! I have never had a problem with any Crucial product. They are the best!

FYI, If you own a computer with one of the newest i3, i5, or i7 processors, you NEED extra RAM! The new Intel processors, while fast, are very RAM hungry! My previous iMac (a mid 2007 24" model with a 2.8Ghz Core2 Duo processor) only had 4GB of RAM (the max it takes), but did just fine. I never expected that a computer could ever possibly need more RAM than that.

But, after I loaded all the same programs onto my new 27" iMac with a 3.2Ghz i3 dual core processor (using Apple's migrate utility), I was shocked to find that it was running MUCH SLOWER than my old iMac, with the same amount of RAM installed as my old one (4GB)! I checked the Activity Monitor, and it turns out it was using up all the RAM (and then some) and then using virtual memory after that (you could always hear the internal hard drive spinning)

Fortunately, unlike the previous generation of iMacs, the new ones have 4 RAM slots instead of 2, and can take up to 16GB of RAM. Presently I am running mine with 12Gb (8GB from Crucial, added to the 4Gb that came from the factory) and WOW! What a difference! It is MUCH faster, and the hard drive isn't spinning all the time anymore!

According to the Activity Monitor my new iMac is actually using up 10 of those 12Gb right now, and I don't even have Photoshop open! I can't believe the new Macs use up so much RAM, but they sure seem to! It's not like I'm running any NASA mission control critical systems programs or anything! (Although I'd bet that 12GB of RAM is far more memory than was used by the ALL the computers at mission control during the first flight to the moon!) All I have running is Windows XP running on VMware Fusion (Which I have just increased the memory allocation from 1.5GB to 3GB), Microsoft Office (for Mac), Firefox, iTunes, iPhoto and a couple of games (that I only open 1 at a time). What the heck is it DOING with all that RAM??

Oh well, at least RAM today is very affordable and FAST! I think I may even buy another 8GB kit from Crucial at some point to replace the factory RAM, and take my iMac up to the maximum allocation of 16GB.

(Just to put things in perspective on how affordable RAM has become, in 1996 I purchased 1GB of RAM for my Power Macintosh 9500 (back when that was considered a huge and unimaginable amount of RAM) so that I could BLAZE through my Photoshop work at 10 times the speed, and the cost back then for that much RAM was $16,000!)
2121 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?