Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3,548 of 3,646 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Braun Series 7 vs. Panasonic ES-LA63 vs Norelco SensoTouch 3D, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Braun Series 7 790cc Cordless Electric Foil Shaver for Men with Clean and Charge Station - Packaging May Vary (Health and Beauty)
I've accumulated quite a few electric razors over the years, with the three most recent being the new models from Norelco, Braun and Panasonic. So, thought I'd do a comparison to perhaps help those who are debating between these high-end models.

But first let's get a basic question out of the way: do you have to spend this much to get a good shave from an electric shaver? Absolutely not. Lower-end models such as the Braun Series 5, the 7000 and 8000 Norelco series and the Panasonic ArcIV are great shavers. What you get for the extra money is a slight improvement in the shave, a bit better design, and a few somewhat useful bells and whistles.

Build quality - all are very nicely put together. The Braun feels the most substantial; the 3D feels the most "plasticy."

Sound - the 3D runs very quietly; the Braun and Panasonic are far more "buzzy" but not too loud.

Overall feel - for me, the Braun feels the most comfortable to hold. Easy to grip even if your hands are wet. The Panasonic is a close second. The 3D feels the most awkward. Not horrible, but not all that comfortable either.

Dry shave: closeness - this is a tough call, with the Braun and the Panasonic both providing very close shaves. The 3D does a pretty good job, but my face does not feel as smooth as with the others.

Dry shave: speed - the 3D is the clear winner here. Just mows through my beard, with a total shave time of less than 3 min. The Panasonic takes about 4 min for a good shave; the Braun clocks in at about 5 min.

Dry shave: neck - this is the most difficult area for most shavers, and all of these models left a few errant hairs here and there. The 3D did the best but it comes at the expense of some irritation (see the next note). The Braun and Panasonic are about equal.

Dry shave: comfort - Braun is the winner for me, followed by the Panasonic. Zero redness even in the more sensitive spots (jaw line and neck). The 3D left me with some red spots on my neck. Nothing severe, but it is clearly a notch below the others on the comfort meter.

Wet shave - this is limited to just the Panasonic and the 3D. I'm not a big fan of wet shaving, but both of these do a very good job. The Panny works best with a very thin layer of gel-type cream; the 3D works best with a heavier lather (I got good results with Edge). Both provided close shaves, with the Panny a bit more gentle than the 3D. But, the 3D did a better job on the neck and jaw line.

**Update: Just tried the new Remington Alphagel shaving cream and that works very well with both the Panny and the Norelco. The scent is a bit heavy (menthol) but the no-foam consistency is a perfect match for a wet electric shave. Much better than any other shave cream I've tried. I reviewed the Alphagel if you want more info.

Maneuverability - this is where the Braun really shines for me. I have a mustache, and edging it with the Braun is a piece of cake. The 3D takes some practice, but it can do a decent job. Worst by far was the Panasonic - the huge head makes it very hard to create a clean edge around the `stash.

Auto cleaning - I love the cleaning station from Braun. Works well, cleans well, and the razor comes out lemony-fresh. The Panasonic cleaning station is OK, but is louder, takes longer, and the water-based cleaning solution is not as effective. I can't comment on the 3D station since the model I bought didn't come with it.

Manual cleaning - both the Panasonic and 3D are very easy to clean manually. They actually don't need the auto cleaning station (although it is handy for storage for the Panny). The cutters are removable from the 3D (unlike the Arcitec models) for extra cleaning every so often. The Braun can be cleaned with water, but it's hard to get it very clean since the cutter block is a single unit.

Lots more that I could say about these razors, but this review is already way too long. If I had to pick just one, I'd go with the Braun. While not perfect, it excels in several areas and feels the best. It also offers three settings (gentle, normal and intensive) that vary the speed of the cutters, a feature the other two lack. I find that very helpful. Plus, replacement heads are easily available and often discounted (as are the cleaning cartridges). But, the 3D and the Panasonic are also very good shavers and will get the job done. If you are willing to spend the money, any one of these would be a good choice.

Note: I have the Braun 790cc-4 since I was able to get it at a fantastic price (on another site - sorry Amazon!) on Black Friday. But, under normal pricing situations, the 760 is cheaper and a better value. They work the same, with the differences limited to color of the razor, type of read-out on the handle, and the fact that the 760 lacks the "quick clean" feature in the cleaning station. None of these are really significant, so if you go with the Braun, pick the one that is cheaper.

But, you have to learn how to use an electric razor properly to get a good shave. Some quick tips:

1) Don't press hard - use an easy touch. If the heads are getting warm or hot, you're pressing too hard.
2) Shave against the grain when using a foil; shave in circular motions when using a rotary.
3) Stretch your skin taut when shaving your neck
4) Wait at least an hour after getting up before shaving (everyone's face gets a bit puffy when sleeping).

Happy shaving!

>>Update June 2012: Thought I'd post an update after 1.5 years of use. No complaints at all - works as good as the day I bought it. I'm also pleased to report that I have not yet had to replace the foil. Although I have several shavers, this remains my favorite, and I have yet to find another shaver that provides the same blend of solid build quality, ease of use, and outstanding shaving performance. It's still a 5-star razor in my book.

>>Update August 2013: Still working like a champ! Zero problems with functionality; fit and finish still looks very nice. I did end up replacing the head a couple of months ago, and it was surprising how much of a difference that made. I didn't really notice the foil and blades wearing since it occurs so slowly, but really noticed the improvement with the new head. I'm not going to wait so long to replace the head next time.

>>Update July 2014: Humming along without a problem. I did find that the head can be cleaned very well if I use an ultrasonic cleaner. Not nearly as quick and easy as using the cleaning station, but if you find yourself without any cleaning cartridges (as I did), an ultrasonic cleaner gets the head very clean. That method of cleaning does not add lubrication as the Braun cleaning fluid does, so I give it a quick spray with Norelco shaver spray after an ultrasonic cleaning.

>Update May 2016: Zero problems to report. Getting some wear on the silver parts and the handle has taken a ding or three due to getting knocked about while traveling, but the shaver continues to put in a good day's work without complaint. However, I recently had the opportunity to use the Panasonic ES-LT7N-S. I have to give the edge to that as my current favorite. It is new, so the price is still way up there, but Panny fixed a lot of the issues/complaints I had with their other high-end models. If your wallet doesn't complain about the price of the Panny ES, it's well worth considering along with the Braun 7 series.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 18 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 111 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2011, 5:37:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2011, 9:39:31 AM PST
Doc H says:
Great review! I have the same lineup of shavers, with pretty much the same experience. Most significant downside of the Braun for me is that it can't be used wet with shaving cream/gel, and I find that has given me a more comfortable shave in the past; previous history of Braun in the past also was cheap construction and poor CS, maybe from Chinese outsourcing. I'm actually using the Braun now having switched from the Panasonic (hate to let that wet shave go, <sigh>), because it provides a faster shave, faster auto cleaning cycle, is more maneuverable, and I think has the most hygienic cleaning system. Both the Panasonic and Norelco self-clean systems eventually leave a soap scum film on shaver and cleaner that has to be dealt with if you use a shaving cream, even using distilled water or the proprietary product, with Panasonic being the worst. All of them are great shavers, and all have compromises, but I agree that for the overall shaving experience I'd recommend the Braun.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2011, 10:58:48 AM PST
Comdet says:
Thanks for your comments, Doc H. I've not used the Norelco cleaning system, but I agree with your comments about the Panasonic -- after a while there's a build-up of film that is very tough to get out, esp. if you use the shaver with shaving cream. You pretty much have to clean the razor first with water before putting it into the cleaning station, which basically defeats the point of the cleaning system. It winds up being more of a storage place for the razor while it is charging.

Now, if only Braun would make a razor that works as well as the Series 7 but also allow for a wet shave. That would be something!

Posted on Mar 27, 2011, 3:27:38 PM PDT
Spectacular review. Very helpful. THANK YOU!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011, 1:45:03 PM PDT
Comdet says:
You're very welcome -- glad to hear it was helpful!

Posted on May 17, 2011, 9:46:56 AM PDT
TorLance says:
Awesome review! Thanks for taking the time to give all of us out here the 411 on these three razors. Exactly the information I was looking for before I buy.

Posted on May 18, 2011, 10:32:38 PM PDT
Your review was comprehensive and very helpful. Even the bit on which one to buy. Thank you for a great review!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011, 5:52:10 AM PDT
Comdet says:
Thank you Defynt & S. Ram -- glad to hear you found the review helpful.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011, 1:56:10 PM PDT
Thank you for educating this wife to help select her husband's next razor. I think I will order him the Braun 760.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011, 1:24:28 PM PDT
Comdet says:
You're very welcome. Hope your husband enjoys the new razor!

Posted on Jul 20, 2011, 12:11:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2011, 12:12:47 PM PDT
Braun Guy says:
Excellent and very educational review of all these shavers. I have been using Braun since 1960 when the top of the Braun model was called Braun Sixtant, I was living in Europe at that time.
Ever since I have purchased all the latest and greatest new Braun models but to be very honest the Braun Sixtant was already so perfect that I really did not feel much difference they all gave me a nice very close shave. A few months ago I purchased the Philips Norelco Senso Touch 3D top model with the cleaning system and you are right, it is an excellent shaver but too akward to use and my old Braun 7570 which I still have gives me a touch closer shave. So I decided to order the Braun 790cc and give the Philips to my son.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›