Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 29, 2012
This review is from: V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (White Silver) (Electronics)
This review is for the V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear headphone. Other headphones I own are the Bose QuietComfort 2 and the Sennheiser HD 558. The Bose are great for travelling and the Sennheiser's are extremely comfortable and sound great but they don't produce the bass I really want so I kept looking. The M-100s were highly recommended by CNET and Sound & Vision Magazine so I was very excited to get them in my hands.

The build quality and look are great. The detachable cord is the perfect length. They look and feel as great in my hands as they did in pictures.

The sound quality is great. I was looking for more bass that didn't muddy up the rest of the spectrum and these deliver. Exactly what I was looking for. I agree with all the positive reviews on the sound quality.

So why did I rate these 2 stars instead of 5! The comfort. They are downright painful to wear on my head. I can't wear them for any length of time without wanting to constantly re-adjust them to find a position where I can enjoy listening to the great sound. The ear pads are too small around to fit my ears and they are not quite deep enough to keep my ears from touching the hard speaker. Now if you have tiny ears like my wife they may work fine for you. She finds them pretty comfortable. I knew they wouldn't be as comfortable as my Sennheiser's but I am very disappointed that they are painful to wear so I have to send them back and keep looking for a pair that has the sound and comfort I'm looking for.

Updated rating. The comfort issue is all to common in this category.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:47:35 PM PST
(MANUFACTURER)
The ear cushion size included with M-100 will fit and give the best sonic performance for the majority of customers, as evidenced by Crossfade LP/LP2/M-100 the highest-rated modern headphone on Amazon.com out of 20,000+ choices. We have spent ~7 years of ergonomic R&D on the Crossfade Series, "the fit is the sound" and we have a utilitarianism philosophy of "greatest sound and comfort for the greatest amount of people".

However, since everybody is unique and has a different ear and head shape, you can first try to adjust the headband by pulling it outward to create less force. For those that want a bigger option, we hear you and are in final R&D phases to make a XL ear cushion for LP/LP2/M-100 that is optimized to have a bigger diameter/depth. It will be called "Crossfade DD-Size Memory Foam" (XL Diameter and Depth).

When this cushion is finished, we will offer it to M-100/LP/LP2 owners with a special program that is not for profit. For those who love the sound and comfort as it is today (that has earned it so many editor's choice awards from CNET to Sound and Vision), the larger cushion will not sound as good as it may sound boomier and the mids won't be as "rich". But for others in the lower percentile with different shaped ears, it will sound as it does for the greater percentile which is in line with our R&D.

It is a very delicate balance of sound and fit for a universal headphone and our team has dedicated our lives to this cause.

Thanks for your support and HAPPY NEW EARS!

-V^V
VAL KOLTON CVO, FOUNDER

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Dec 29, 2012 12:47:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 7:19:27 PM PST
(MANUFACTURER)

Thanks for your support and HAPPY NEW EARS!

-V^V
VAL KOLTON CVO, FOUNDER

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:06:18 PM PST
I have a big head and large ears. I own the lp for quite awhile now (I plan to buy the m-100 when I get enough money too) and never had problems with them hurting my head but to each its own I guess. They do sit on my ear rather than over but like I said my ears are big. Val is there an email newsletter set up. I will like to be kept up-to-date when you release the xl ear cushions. Val keep up the great work and I hope you will never loose sight of customer service like some companies do... I really doubt that will happen especially since you are very hands on.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 7:18:26 PM PST
(MANUFACTURER)
True, also you can stretch the headband out a bit and of course adjust the length so it causes less pressure on the ears.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 5:14:26 PM PST
Jonnio says:
A lot of us have also had good luck stuffing some paper towel or medical gauze in between the earpad and speaker grill to make it thicker and give more room for the ears....I went from discomfort after about 30-45 minutes and downright pain after about 1.5 hours to being able to wear them however long I want now by doing the stuffing and reducing the clamping force.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 11:15:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 11:16:01 AM PST
Michael says:
I have a similar problem: it's somewhat uncomfortable on my ears (and my head and ear size is not large at all). At first it was even painful.
In couple of weeks of using I found a least painful position on my head, although in that case speakers really pressed to the ears.
My wife (with larger head size) tried it yesterday and could not keep it on - due to a real pain. She did loved the sound though.

I love the sound as well, and the build and features are amazing. Besides, it was a present from my wife, which I really want to enjoy.
I will give it few more days, but it's likely that I end up apologizing to my wife and giving it back.
Which is too bad: if not to the pain, would be an almost perfect headphone...

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 3:15:34 PM PST
Should be a 4 star review. One start for the problem you had with comfort. Let's be fair here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:56:41 PM PST
It wasn't just one little problem. It was a show stopper and I sent them back. If I could have worn them for any length of time I would have kept them and gave more stars. I would have loved to try the "Crossfade DD-Size Memory Foam" pads they are working on.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›