Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

VINE VOICEon August 20, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I selected this book for reviewing, I was not familiar with the author (despite the book cover's statement that Forbes identified her as one of the 20 "best branded women"). The title and cover art made me think this was going to be a lighthearted book by someone who experimented with a variety of new-age spiritual activities. I thought it was going to be funny, possibly a satirical look at all the ways we try to find enlightenment in this life.

It is not. It is a fairly serious (despite some casual language and occasionally funny stories) exploration of her journey through A Course in Miracles. Through the 12 chapters, she takes the reader through the basic principles of the Course focusing particularly on fear and anxiety, the need to relinquish being "special" or labeling others as "special", and lots of work with what she calls the "F" word: forgiveness.

Despite my initial surprise at the serious tone of the book (not suggested by the title or cover art) I found myself pulled into her stories and observations. I am not a student of the Course, so much of her information was new to me, and I found it very engaging and interesting. I found myself resisting some of the concepts, but I suspect that is a normal reaction to new material which makes you rethink how you have previously perceived situations. Perhaps more important-- I also found myself relaxing as I read the book, and becoming more at peace with myself and with some people in my life. The book helped me to look at my own tendency to be a "victim" (which I would have denied prior to reading it) and helped me develop ways to get out of that role.

I recommend this book if you are interested in learning more about A Course in Miracles (the actual Course book is rather long-- this is a much quicker way to learn the main points) or are interested in learning more about the important role of forgiveness in your life.
11 comment| 209 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?