BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 23, 2011
I purchased this ADSL2 modem/wireless router to replace a ZyXEL PK5000Z unit that we were leasing from CenturyLink (Phoenix, AZ). The ZyXEL modem regularly dropped the wireless connection to our computer. We had to reboot the ZyXEL modem at least once a day, and sometimes several times a day, to keep the wireless links working.

The TP-LINK TD-W8960N has been running several days with no dropped connections; already a vast improvement over the ZyXEL modem. It was fairly easy to set up via manual method. I had to call the CenturyLink Technical Support line for help with a couple settings. They were very helpful, and I had this router operating in no time at all. The two settings which Technical Support gave me were VPI = 0, and VCI = 32. Of course, you need your CenturyLink user ID and password, too. Once I set these parameters, the router starting working great.

The unit has been running continuously for about a week. The case top measures 36C with an ambient temperature of 23C. The case bottom measures 41C. Both case measurements were taken at the center of the top and bottom case labels. The case is warm to the touch, but not hot, by my sense of things.

So far, I really like this modem/wireless router. I set my new router up to duplicate the wireless SSID and password of the old ZyXEL modem. This let me power up the new one, and power down the old one without having to adjust the computers and gaming platforms that wirelessly connect to the modem. Don't run both wireless routers at the same time, if they are configured with the same SSID and passwords; power off the old router when this one is working.

The router provides excellent wireless connectivity for our large 2-story home. It handles streaming video, gaming, and computers with no perceived problems in video quality or upload/download speeds. I'll post an update when the unit gets more operating time logged. So far, I'm impressed with this unit.
0Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?