BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 3, 2012
Having run in nothing but the Asics Kayanos since basic training in 2008, I was enticed by both a store salesman and a very friendly regional Brooks rep to give these a shot instead. Always up for something new, and these priced $50 less, I decided to give them a try. (A decision I would soon regret.)

While it seems that the other reviewers have had mostly positive experiences, these shoes have been nothing but awful for me. Over the years I've worn just about every brand of shoe on the market, and these fit COMPLETELY different than any other brand. I wear a standard 13, and have never needed any special width or narrowing to accommodate my foot. These however, are both too narrow and too wide at the same time! The front half is so tight that I could barely feel my toes after 1.5 miles, while the back half is so loose that my heel was constantly slipping out of place. The sole feels like it has a very quality feel of gentle cushioning to it, but that's completely offset by an inner surface that feels completely lumpy and uneven, to the point that it's a noticeable distraction while I try to keep stride.

I was really hoping to find something great here, and I love to support "the underdog" when I can, but I could not have been more disappointed.

Unfortunately, it took my first run to find out how completely awkward these shoes feel, so I can't even return them. These will be a $90 backup pair in my closet to wear in bad weather or when I need to look pretty for the Air Force brass (the colors are great for that at least), but mostly they'll be a reminder to steer clear of the Brooks brand in the future.

The Kayanos are absolutely worth the extra money.
What's this?