Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

on October 18, 2007
I recently began listening to the author's podcast, which is how I heard about this book. It's really a gorgeous cookbook with many color photos and a terrific layout. I know there are people that criticize cookbooks with lots of photos as fluff, but trust me, this is one of the most comprehensive cookbooks I own. As others have said, there is a *ton* of information on vegan baking, as well as tips scattered throughout the book. The vast majority of ingredients are common and familiar. I am a new vegetarian and there was only one ingredient that was new to me. I was most impressed with the variety of desserts included. Another reviewer already listed the categories so I won't repeat them, but the list is really extensive. I just received the book yesterday so I'll have to amend this review once I've had a chance to do some baking (the lemon bars are at the top of my list), but I'm already hoping the author will create future cookbooks for all types of dishes!!

Update: I promised an update once I had tried some recipes--yum! I've made the chocolate chip cookies, the lemon bars, the apple pie with the flaky pie crust, the pumpkin pie with the pecan crust, the light lemon bundt cake, the blueberry orange bundt cake, the lemon cheesecake, and...my favorite...the German apple cake. From the ingredients, the cake doesn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary, but it certainly is. I couldn't get enough. The chocolate cake (with her chocolate frosting) was the best I've had--moist, "chocolatey", light and fluffy.

In response to the comment on my original post, I wanted to add that while the quality of the recipes are obviously an important part of any cookbook, other characteristics are important too. Is it easy to read? Do the recipes use easy-to-find ingredients? Is the layout attractive? Am I, as the reader, given "bonus" information above and beyond the recipes? The answer to all of these for the Joy of Vegan Baking is yes!!
22 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.