Truck Reviews Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon March 6, 2011
I have been using my Road Trainer heart rate monitor for several weeks now, and must say it is a must-have for runners and athletes. This is the first HRM I have ever used, so I offer no comparative reviews to other models, but here are a few pros and cons of this particular unit:

PROS:
* Accurate heart beat measurement (just make sure to wet the chest pads a bit with water before wearing)
* Great tracking and review of workout stats (includes: total minutes of workout, time in heart rate zone, peak heart rate, minimum heart rate, calories burned and recovery time)
* Easy-to-read display, which is critical when you just want to glance down at the watch before looking back at the road/path
* Chest strap is very comfortable and stays in place (I'm a lean 5'11" 154lbs, so I can understand if larger guys find the strap snug)
* Customizable heart rate zone, great for changing the intensity of your workout
* Really informative manual and heart-health booklet included with this
* The watch looks nice enough to wear casually

CONS:
* The wrist watch strap is fairly large -- even for those with larger wrists
* There seems to be some relay lag between chest strap and watch if I start running too quickly. This is resolved if I slow down and allow the watch to "catch up," but it generally takes over two minutes to synch if I don't do this, which obviously skews the data
* The calorie counter tends to be somewhat inconsistent, either showing far too many or too few calories burned (I am by no means trying to lose weight, but I do need to monitor how many calories I need to consume in order to refuel -- especially when approaching race day)

I have not used this for biking or swimming, but I run roughly 15-20 miles per week, and can honestly say I will never be without my Road Trainer. My only regret is not having purchased it sooner!
24 people found this helpful