Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent Hostiles available to rent  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on October 25, 2006
I've been contemplating getting around to building a router table for far too long. I've been limping by with my tablesaw router insert. I had gotten a great deal on the Bosch 1617 Plunge/Fixed combo a while back. I thought that this would be a good pair, using the fixed base mounted in the table, with above table adjustment, and the plunge base for handheld use.

The table is cast aluminum and it was as square as I was able to measure. The router mount plate is a strong cast aluminum piece as well. It shouldn't sag from leaving a router mounted as I have seen in some other plates. There are adjustment screws for each corner and each edge (a total of 8). This allows you to mount the plate perfectly flush of the table top. The fence is an extruded aluminum piece with adjustable MDF faces. It was square and true. Also included were two 1/16" plastic sheets to slide behind the MDF for using the table as an edge jointer. This is a nice idea for someone starting out, but I prefer a real jointer.

The power switch is a little odd. You lift a plastic lever to turn on a rocker switch. If you press down on the lever at all, it will shut off the switch. This should work well, but I can see a possibility of breaking the plastic lever. That would not prevent the switch from functioning, it would just be harder to turn off.

The featherboards included will be usable and are pretty well designed. The storage area in one leg is a great idea, but it is impossible to put everything not in use in there. I will most likely mount this on top of a rolling cabinet with some drawers. I could also see eventually keeping the aluminum top and replacing the plastic legs with a cabinet. The top should last for a long while.

Overall, I believe that I will be happy with this purchase. I think it is decent at the regular price and I would consider it a bargain with the total of 30% offers that were applied when I purchased it. I would check the Bosch site and verify that your router will fit this table. There is mention in the instructions about drilling holes for above the table adjustments of some Porter Cable and other routers. However, mounting holes are provided for many routers. If your router isn't listed, you would need to drill accurate holes to mount. If you aren't exactly centered, some operations on the table will be very hard to do (such as routing with a template and bushing.)

Although this Aluminum top doesn't need paste wax for protection, unlike cast iron, it is a good idea. On my BT3100 table saw, the aluminum can leave grey streaks if it is not paste waxed. Just something to think about with this.
77 comments| 431 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?