Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Schedule In-Home iPhone Screen Repair TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 6, 2002
I (OK, we -- my wife loves coffee even more than I) have been using this grinder for more than 7 years now. At least a pot a day, year in and year out. No problems with blowing up, or any of the other problems mentioned. If you're unfortunate enough to get one that doesn't do what the vast majority of reviewers have said it will - grind beans for years and years - I hope you'll assume you got a (rare, it seems) bad copy, and try another one before giving up.
As for the coffee, this little [U.S. currency with Andrew Jackson's portrait] gadget grinds from coarse to espresso, and all you have to do is a "one-mississippi, two-mississippi" until you get it down which mississippi gives you the coffee you want. Yes, blades will heat up the beans, but keeping the beans in the freezer mitigates that, and that's where you really oughta keep 'em anyway, for freshness' sake. As for coffee dust on the sides, I only get that anymore when I come home with a brand new can of Sumatra Lintong from Trader Joe's, and just won't wait for the beans to cool down! Otherwise, cold beans = no caked-on dust. As for getting grounds all over the counter, here's a little trick: when you're done grinding, turn it over (lid still on, please!) and give the whole thing a tap or two on the countertop. Bingo - lid now full of grounds, ready to carry to your coffee maker. (Speaking of... based in no small part on reviews here, we're getting a Braun KF187, and I can't wait to see if it really makes coffee as well as everyone raves. But I digress...)
We also bought a second one of these for spices, and recently even used it to bail us out of a no-confectioner's-sugar bind. Threw in some raw turbinado sugar, crossed fingers, gave it a whirl, and pressed on, MacGyver style...
To sum up, it's been a great little tool that has cost us less than a penny a day if you amortize the cost over 7+ years. I'll take it, and if it "blows up" tomorrow, I'll go buy another one in a heartbeat.
479 people found this helpful