BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 31, 2008
This item has been a nightmare! Before I purchased this camera, I contacted Linksys sales and asked the following questions: 1. Does it have the capability to record activity to the hard drive of a computer? 2. Is it wireless? 3. Does it need the internet to function? 4. Does the camera have "motion detection capability"? 5. Can the file be copied to media and be viewed on another computer?

With the exception of 3, the answer to all of the above was YES! An internet connection is not needed unless one wants to view video activity at a remote location. However, a separate router is required. Connect the camera to the router and the router to the computer. Once this is done, unplug the camera and if the router is wireless, the camera can be viewed and recorded.

After receiving the unit, I had a tech at Linksys help in the setup. Everything seemed to work ok, but as I began to make certain all was recording as hoped, nothing was available to view. After many hours of consulting with Linksys tech's I was finally sent to the next level in Irvine, CA. After waiting for two days, I finally received a call. We began working on the recorded issue. Finally after three days, the tech said the camera was faulty so I returned it. Amazon.com was excellent and sent me a new camera via second day. The new camera arrived, and I performed a new install. Still I couldn't get Motion Video to record. Many many more hours and I paid $9.99 to Linksys for online help. Still no resolution, but guess what: they kept my money even though they "guaranteed" resolution or a refund. Finally, I was able to talk to the Irvine tech (only after calling the commercial number in Irvine and asking to talk to the President of Linksys). Turns out my emails to him were going to his junk mail. He couldn't come up with the answer either so he installed a camera and the software to find out what the problem was. He had some of the same problems which I encountered, so he went to the engineering department for help. Turns out we had a check mark in a box that precluded proper saving of video. Also turns out that this camera can only record 30 seconds of activity, BUT there is a field that allows for a "0" (zero instead of one or more minutes) which is the amount of time between detected events. That seems to correct the problem. I've had it functional for three days now, and it appears that the unit and software are functional for my purposes. Also, the user manual doesn't tell that essentially the camera software is, to a great degree, useless. That the Camera Utility software is the most important and works the best. It's easy to think that setting up the camera software works in conjunction with the Utility, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If my email address is available, I'd be glad to help anyone who is having problems with their camera. I can't even begin to estimate my time spent on this, but I've been at it since mid September. It's now October 31. 'Spose there is any significance to that? GOOD LUCK!
33 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?