Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars If the series had to keep going, this is how to do it., June 29, 2012
This review is from: City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments) (Hardcover)
City of Fallen Angels was the first Cassandra Clare book I did not rate 5 stars. I honestly could not believe that-after the almost PERFECT ending of CoG-Clare was going to come back with three more books. I hated the entire storyline, I hated everything that happened and I wanted it to not exist. It wasn't because the book was bad-hardly!-but because I just really didn't want the gorgeous ending of CoG to be messed up. And it totally was.

So, with that in mind, we enter me trying to moxie up to read City of Lost Souls. I delayed for a LONG TIME. I'd caught some spoilers through the internet, which made me dread it worse. But I finally realized that I could not let any Clare book sit around for long, and because I'm a completely fangirl and needed to know what happened...I finally read it.

And I am glad I did.

There is a great thing about CoLS, and that is that it reads much differently than the first three books. As my memory serves, CoB, CoA and CoG were all primarily Jace/Clary POVs. In CoLS, however, it feels like EVERYBODY has a POV, which is utterly fantastic. Jace and Clary are still the center of the story, but they aren't the only thing going on anymore. Sure, not every storyline was a hit with me, so why don't we break them down?

Simon (and, to a lesser extent, Isabelle): Simon has A LOT to say in this book, and I loved it. He is one of the most fantastic characters in the series, and he's really getting a fantastic slice of the limelight. His story tangent with his family was great. Plus, Simon/Izzy? SO ADORABLE. Izzy is really becoming more and more of a 3D person, and that's coming from someone who passed her off as a cliché in the first couple of books.

Jordan/Maia: This is one of the storylines that really bored me. Maia never struck me as a favorite character to begin with, and Jordan and their relationship just feels overly melodramatic. It's as if there has to be one cliché teen romance rolling around in here just because it's a thing you do, and it's these guys.

Alec/Magnus: I have so many feels about this couple. I adored how much of the limelight they got in this book, even if Alec was being an IDIOT. It was fantastic to really see them acting as a couple. EVEN IF ALEC WAS BEING AN IDIOT. Ahem. The end killed me, but I can't help but totally agree with it.

Jace/Clary: I'll admit, I'm an absolute sucker for these guys. I was really headdesking a lot about Jace, but Clary was especially coming into her own and it was mostly her POV, so I didn't mind. Maybe Jace and Alec were parabati linking over the IDIOT! theme? Still, they really grew as a couple at the end, which I loved. Also I am a sucker for these guys.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one more than I thought I would after CoFA. Once again, Clare had me writhing in my seat in laughter and in ALL OTHER FEELINGS. I'm still on the fence about if the series should have continued at all, but I will admit: If the series did have to go on, this is absolutely the way to do it. The story is evolving into being centered on a lot more characters than Jace and Clary and really giving those minor characters we love a chance to shine. TMI fans will not be disappointed.

[Add comment]