Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

on September 25, 2010
This lens seems to be built well and of good quality. I wanted it for shooting high school football. I have rented a Canon 70-200 L IS f2.8, but wanted to buy my own lens. I liked the idea of a 300mm with zoom feature. I read this lens has difficulty focusing in low light. I'm confirming that. I lost many shot due to subject being out of focus. Under fast moving sports in moderate light (nigh games with average lighting) this lens struggles. I have returned it and will buy the Canon I used in the past.

However, if you are not photographing sports in low light, then this is likely an excellent lens. I did not notice the "flaky" paint described in reviews, however I am extrememely careful with my gear.

This lens is heavy (nearly double the Canon) so the extra 100mm comes at a weight expense. However I was using a monopod so no big deal, but if you don't use a monopod this would be significant information to know.

I wished it would have worked better, had my hopes up. So this is likely a great lens for the money, so long as lighting is good.

I used the lens on a Canon 5D Mark II.

PS: I assume the focus was related to lighting, however I did not use the lens during the day, so I can't be certain. But I did have shots in focus so I attribute the out of focus to light conditions.
1313 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

In the text of your review, you can link directly to any product offered on To insert a product link, follow these steps:
1. Find the product you want to reference on
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select
7. When your review is displayed on, this text will be transformed into a hyperlink, like so:Hamlet (The Pelican Shakespeare)