Reviewed in the United States on March 17, 2020
I have been reading the novels by Joyce Alec for around a year now. I can definitely see an improvement in her writing skills—particularly dialogue, as I thought that was weak when I first started reading her. I have quite enjoyed this series about the women, along with a handful of men, of the Shadows who try to right small wrongs—and sometimes even bigger ones—in Regency London.

As with most of Ms. Alec’s Regency novels, this is romantic suspense. But unlike most of her other ones, this is a definite enemies-to-lovers romance. The book opens with the heroine separating the roguish hero from what he hopes will be his next conquest. He does come across as mildly menacing toward the heroine but then backs down quickly when the other Shadows are revealed to be in the garden as well. These two keep running into each other, and eventually, she finds him injured, and that's when things start to get interesting and change. He comes to understand some of the consequences of his previous actions and begins to reform his roguish ways. I particularly like the heroine, as she came across as so strong and smart. She truly did seem happy with her life precisely as it was (and was firm in her resolve), even if others within it were hoping that she could have or want more. The suspense really kept my interest, as I wanted to know precisely who was behind the issues with the hero and what he had done to become such a target.

I received a free copy of this book, but that did not affect my review.
0Comment Report abuse Permalink