Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW killer- No, but it is better in many respects., September 16, 2008
This review is from: Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning - PC (Video Game)
This review is of Beta and of the first 2 days of release, there are some fine reviews further down and I suggest you check them out!
----
Let me start out this review saying I am addicted to MMO's.I was in beta for Ultima Onlina, Everquest, Anarchy Online, SWG and WoW. I then went on to play each MMO for several hundred hours if not days. I played WoW for at least 20-40 hours per week for 4 years. My characters averaged 40 days played. That being said (not to brag but to say I know WoW), here is my review of Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

If there were any times that you played an MMO and thought that, something was missing... I am sure that the folks over at Mythic Entertainment thought the very same things. As the torchbearers for RVR or Realm vs Realm battle they understand how to do an MMO right from the beginning. What Mythic did was to build a game where the player vs player was not an afterthought to keep high levels occupied, instead it IS the game. After you are slightly acquainted with the interface you are then thrown head-long into battle. War is all around and they mean it. This game is about fantasy WAR and not about phat lewt, (although there is that sorta, more on this later).

Another feature that is built in is the amazing Tome of Knowledge. If you ever downloaded addons for WoW for use as a record keeper then you will know how this feature works. The really cool part is that this tome is utilized as a bragging tool and it also unlocks character titles. It keeps a record of the number of mob x you have slain, the number of sales to merchants and so on. You'll have to see it to completely get the power of this tool.

Another great feature is the open group system. Being I am almost 40 years old and have 2 kids of my own, the last thing I want to do is log in and be begging for groups with pre-teen jerks angry at the world because some girl turned them down for a date...etc. How the open group system works is there are areas you may be running through and need to kill "X" monster. Well just run into that area and do a group lookup. You will see who is there what step they are on and bam! you can join them. You don't even need to talk to them "omg roxx0rz!".... As long as you participate in the quest and don't just stand there then you'll get the quest done. Which leads me to the final cool feature;

Public Quests (PQ);
Public quests are there to help you complete quests that require a group. Basically same as the open group system except that these quests have several stages and you did not have to have this quest before you came to the area. You can join in at any point in the chain and depending on how much you contribute to the final boss section then the better the loot and experience. So you could walk away with a healing potion or the Sword of 10000 truths. Whatever you get it WILL be usable by you! That's a huge difference from WoW.

So why all the WoW comparison? Many people will say that this is WoW 2.0. I will have to disagree with that. Let me explain it this way. If you are into playing first person shooters. And say, you are looking over the barrel of your gun. Is Gears of War a Wolfenstein 3D ripoff? Well that viewpoint (looking over the barrel), comes directly from one of the first 3D shooters ever (Wolfenstein 3D). Mythic has the same sort of complaint against it. "It is trying to be like WoW too much". To be honest WoW took alot from Dark Ages of Camelot which was the MMO pre-wow. The look of the orcs comes directly from Games Workshop which is where Warhammer comes from. If you are playing an MMO would you rather the players playing not have an idea how to play or would you rather everyone could play pretty well on their own. Being that mostly everyone coming to Warhammer has played an MMO before it is a benefit to everyone that Warhammer has a "similar feel" to all other MMO's that predate it.

The game allows for massive customization of your character. You can customize it internally. Meaning you can get abilities and skills that are more about power on the field of battle and less about the glowing codpiece of doom. The graphics are at this time (just after release) moderate and do use DirectX 10 to some extent. They are scheduling to allow people with ubermachines to ramp the setting up soon. Just realize though when you get 200 people on the field fighting, you may not wish to be able to count the nose hairs on each player, instead blast them first and count nose hairs later.

I am beginning to get the feeling this this is a much more mature players game and less for the kids to show off in. It's like that Nivia for Men commercial, " they got to see me, I got to attract them somehow". Being there isn't a huge glowing customizable look it may be off-putting to some that feel they NEED to have a glowing sword. The artwork in this game is amazingly real and very beautiful.

Final thoughts, the look of this game is one of realism and is very close to what tabletop Warhammer players would find appealing. You can play greenskins that are crude and really fun to play, or be a serious Von Helsing type character that looks like a swashbuckling hero. Either way you should have no problem finding something you like among the 20 classes.

Hope to meet you ingame!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2008 11:29:35 AM PDT
Fan Guo says:
Nice and intuitive; i really appreciate the objectivity in most parts of this review. Just one question: amazon labels this game as "windows xp" platform only. Does this mean this copy of the game is not supported by vista?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2008 11:35:37 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
I am using Vista 64 and it runs flawlessly. I think the XP thing is due to it being a minimum. Meaning it runs on XP and Vista (even 64). Thanks for the kind words. I want to edit the review some seeing some of the other reviews here. This game is about WAR in a fantasy setting. Its like people going into Battlefield 2 and expecting the game to be about chatting with the bar maidens. This game is a gritty look at war in a fantasy setting. It is more about being a good fighter in your army than having glowing weapons and glowing codpieces of doom. If you like the latter then maybe this isnt for you. :)

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 3:59:17 PM PDT
DSV says:
hey joseph i never played any mmo, this will be my first time you think it would be easy for me? im a gamer and i played lots of games but not mmo

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2008 4:14:27 PM PDT
Geekdomo says:
Well its a very basic interface. Just click on your target and then use one of your spells on your bar. Its very intuitive, they didn't do anything amazing here just took what worked and built on it. Good Luck!

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 1:23:50 PM PDT
Jas says:
I'm returning from a deployment and having trouble deciding whether to try this or get back on WoW. I really love WoW, but I hate the arena system and what it has done to the gear in the game. I don't really enjoy arena combat. Would it be possible for you to explain what the RvR combat system is like? From what I've heard this game is weak in PvE which I really enjoy, but if the RvR was fun enough i'm sure I wouldn't mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2008 4:51:21 PM PDT
Geekdomo says:
Well the games are different to say the least. WoW is a very pve friendly game. Lots of places to wander around and take in the beauty. Warhammer on the other hand is really built around PVP and there are little chances to wander around and gander. The graphic realism in Warhammer is amazing compared to the cartoonish look of WoW. If you do have time to look around youll be amazed at all the little details thrown in. What is different mainly between WoW and Warhammer is, Warhammer does NOT waste your time. You can join a battle from anywhere, you can get into a great quest only moments after logging in. Even the crafting is made to waste as little of your time as possible. For that alone is why I support it so much. I am working full time and am a full time college student. I may have only 30 mins to play. On Wow I might as well not log in or, maybe I would log in just long enough to fly my character somewhere for later. On Warhammer I can log in and be doing a quest in 30 seconds. Thats the difference. HTH, oh... thank you for your service too. I did 6 years in the Navy and was in the first gulf war. Thanks again, glad you made it back safe.

Posted on Sep 22, 2008 8:09:56 PM PDT
DSV says:
hey i just got my cd and im on level 10 now very fun game!, what server do you play joseph?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 5:18:16 AM PDT
Geekdomo says:
Because of school I am not able to play so much now ( in my senior year of bachelors). My wife and I are playing on Ironfist for order, and Sephry for Destruction. On Ironfist I play a dwarf ironbreaker named Ironface and on Sephry I am on a shaman named Glop (my shaman in DAOC I made after beta was over was named Glop). See ya maybe!

Posted on Sep 23, 2008 10:23:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2008 10:29:43 AM PDT
A. Bucholtz says:
First off, great review.

Secondly, what is end-game content (gear, crafting, etc.) like in this game?

And is there any raid/instance equivalent in this game? Don't get me wrong, PvP is my bread and butter, but sometimes a good raid can balance things out nicely.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2008 12:58:02 PM PDT
Hello A.

I cannot speak to the end game due to me only being in the final phase of beta and then release is so new. The raid instance equivelent is seamless. If you go to an area that is RVR you are instantly put into a raid group. From there you can move around if you need to but it is pretty well done by the system. All loot is rolled on as a need/greed situation and as of now it seems very fair for loot. They are tweaking the loot for PVP so that it is inline with PVE. Last night I got some great items that were just for me. Sometimes loot drops that is a broken weapon for example. It will say you need to repair it to get final stats. The cool thing is if it drops and the whole group has a chance to roll on it, they all can use it. How this works is the item is class neutral when it drops say : Broken Vorpal Sword doing 1337 dmg... It will say at the bottom its for your class, but it says that for every player able to roll on it. So when you repair it (if you win it) the sword then becomes your class sword and so on. It is a slick system and really is great for looting.
I have been on some huge raids sofar and the highest I got was in the teens. Because, the levels are normalized meaning they are all brought to the same relative level. You may be the lowest char on the field but your hitpoints and damage output will be equal with everyone else. You wont get the high level skills or abilities but the ones you came with will be much more powerful. How this helps with raids is then you can go with your friends and not HAVE to be their level to go along. The items that drop may not be useable by you for a while but you can still roll on em.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›