BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 28, 2007
I accidentally entered the wrong S/N when registering my 4250 online. Though it accepted the S/N I entered. The print is extremely misleading and I made a typo because of it. What looked like a 6 was actually a 5. I was unaware it was the wrong s/n until I tried to activate the free 3 month traffic subscription. After I entered the traffic subscription coupon it generated a coupon code that did not work (a ridiculously long code that I entered several times) on my device because of the S/N error. (I figured out the S/N error only through perusing the different user settings and finding a product information page. If you buy one of these, don't try to read the box, turn on the device and go to the product id screen.)

I called India (customer support) and it was an excercise in futility, and I knew that as soon as the guy answered the phone. This is not a racist comment in any way. The problem is customer support is farmed out to companies in India, but they don't have any tools available to them to help you.

- Even though I registered online fully the guy in India can't see my info and you have to slowly phonetically spell your personal info over the phone, again. It's the same info that you enter online.

- He tried to walk me through the process of entering a traffic subscription activation coupon, but I was already there on my PC. Once he understood this he asked me to enter the activation coupon code, which I dutifully did. Nada....

- As I explained to this gent, the coupon was used for the wrong device and I need a new coupon code for the GPS that I do own.

- Not only could he not provide a new 3 month code, or tell me where to write to in order to get one, he said he cannot correct the erroneouus online information. I now have two Maestro 4250's assigned to me.

- I feel sorry for the person that buys the 4250 that I already registered. They are in for a nightmare when they get the error stating this number has been used already.

It's a deal breaker for me that a typo when registering the device could cause this much of a problem, and Magellan has no provision to correct it. I only hope Magellan reads Amazon reviews. Amazon shouldn't carry Magellan. Decent hardware, but zero support.
44 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?