Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price point, you won't beat this one., October 16, 2013
This review is from: Acer S231HL BBID 23-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)
I just received two of these monitors last night. I was replacing some broken ViewSonic VG2230WMs which provided excellent service for many, many years. The two new Acers are flanking my ViewSonic CDE3201LED 32" LED-Lit center screen. I also have 2x DoubleSight DS-70Us (7") and 1x DoubleSight DS-90U (9"). I thought this was important so you could see what I'm comparing the new Acers to.

First, the Acers were SUPER easy to assemble. All done without tools, though the screw that holds the panel to the stand will eventually get properly tightened with a screwdriver if they work out in the long term.

Packaging was sufficient but responsibly done, with minimal styrofoam and maximum recyclable content.

I was really surprised to see that every conceivable cable that could be used with these monitors was included in the box! You get a VGA, DVI *and* HDMI cable for each monitor.

I love the fact that the power cable is two-part power supply similar to those used with laptops. This means that the reach of the cable is very long, and the part of the cable you'll most want to hide happens to also be the very thin, easiest to manipulate part.

I plugged them in and my Windows 7 64-bit machine recognized and activated them without any interaction from me. No drivers or special software to install. Literally plug and play.

The image would look good to me if they weren't flanking that big ViewSonic I mention above. They all have a max resolution of 1920x1080 and that looks better at first glance on the ViewSonic. But that resolution doesn't really hold up to over scaling like the 32" ViewSonic does, so the Acers represent that pixel density much better.

Text on the Acers is much more readable and very smooth.

The response times are great, and videos look decent. The ViewSonic is a bit brighter and sharper with video while the Acers take the prize for text, basic web surfing and non-animated content.

So far I am very pleased with almost everything about the Acers. Can't beat the price, of course, but the quality and completeness of the equipment that I received was great.

I know that height-adjustable stands are no longer in vogue but I really miss that feature. I'm 6' tall and find these Acers sitting way too low for comfortable use at a normally proportioned desk. So I saved some money on the monitors themselves but now I'll have to invest in something to raise them a solid 6-7" in height to achieve the recommended ergonomic configuration. That said, even the big ViewSonic fails to meet ergonomic standards in height so it needs to be boosted 4-5" itself. Like I said, non-adjustable stands are the norm these days but I really miss that excellent feature on my old ViewSonic VG2230WM monitors. Those things could tower above a desk!

At this point I would only be able recommend these monitors for fairly work-a-day use -- email, spreadsheets, document editing, etc. For video games or heavy multimedia use, I'm not sure they would be as sharp and bright as you might hope. I'll certainly update this if I find that my experience over time changes this opinion but I have already tried some videos and have a strong preference for the big ViewSonic's performance on media.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]