Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on May 30, 2001
A Walk to Remember is a fictional novel with more to offer than an average love story. Nicholas Sparks creates in-depth characters who are sensitive and receptive to life. The main character, Landon Carter, tells his story of self-exploration which dates back to the year 1958. Landon lives in the small town of Beaufort located in North Carolina. This setting is significant because it plays a large role in the kinds of relationships the characters have with each other. Being a small southern town, the people are close with one another and know everything about one another. Landon is a senior in high school who is searching for something. He bases many opinions on the way things look and tends to go along with the crowd. Landon's outlooks, and views on life change throughout the novel because of a special relationship with a character named Jamie Sullivan. Jamie is an admirable person who is self-confident, secure with herself, and entirely selfless. Being the daughter of a widowed Baptist minister, Jamie possesses a strong faith. She carries a Bible with her at school, cares for orphaned children, and rescues wounded animals. Jamie is different from the other girls at her high school. She doesn't pay attention to how her hair looks, or the latest fashion trends, she is entirely devoted to helping other people and putting others first. With a twist of fate, two opposite personalities are unpredictably brought together to form a unique relationship.
The story mainly focus's on the growth of Landon's character and the romantic relationship that is formed between Landon and Jamie. Through different events in the novel, the quality of Landon's character and the quality of the relationship improves. For example, Jamie brings Landon with her to the children's orphanage and this experience opens his eyes and causes him to be more sensitive. He not only changes himself by doing things with Jamie, he also learns from her forgiveness. In the first stage of their friendship, Landon mistreats her because he cares too much about what his peers think. Jamie possesses the quality of forgiveness and is able to pardon Landon for his actions even though she was deeply hurt. Landon falls in love with Jamie for her soul, and for her compassion. Jamie falls in love with Landon's sincerity and his ability to change and accept things. The two teenagers are inseparable and devote all of their time to each other. They share everything in each other's lives except one secret that Jamie has kept from the whole town including her soul-mate. In the end, Jamie is not strong enough to carry this heavy burden. She must rely on the sweet love of Landon to get her through her life-changing secret.
After I finished this novel, I felt as though I had been through so much. I felt the emotional effects of the story deeply. I was so attached to the novel; any moment of free time, I read a new chapter. Not only did I thoroughly enjoy the story, I let myself become friends with the characters. When they were sad, I was down; when they were elated, I felt joy. This novel taps into human emotion so profoundly. I cried for twenty minutes at the end of the novel. It left such an impact on me. I felt such a connection to the growth the characters went through. I examined my own life and it caused me to be more conscience of certain aspects of my own character. Jamie's strong devotion to God helps me examine my own faith. I believe in God and I try to base my life around my dedication to a higher being. I admire Jamie for her altruistic ways of caring for others and putting other's needs before her own.
Landon learns so many truths about life, about love and about humanity. He learns what true and unconditional love is. He learns what it means to treat others with respect, and he learns to be confident with his own convictions. After finishing the story, I was left with a feeling and emotion of complete happiness. I was left smiling (even with tears streaming down my cheeks) at the lives of the characters. Landon has been through so much exploration and has found himself. He forgets the norm and rebels against trying to fit in. This touches me deeply because I understand how hard it is to soul-search; I understand how hard it is to look past the trivial events of high school and to be an individual. This novel is about growing up. It is hard for Jamie to rely on someone else to carry her secret. However, she is able to, and learns how important her soul-mate really is to her survival. He is the difference between living and dying. Through the life lessons, the spiritual epiphanies, and the self-discovery, I have never felt so connected with a novel. I can relate my life to the novel so easily and all of the events the characters go through. I will forever remember these two friends of mine. Even though they are literary characters, they have opened my eyes to a world of selflessness, devotion, and most importantly, yet simply, love.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading comments right now. Please try again later.