Truck Reviews Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Schedule In-Home iPhone Screen Repair TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 28, 2009
I'm a certified personal trainer and I like working with various fitness dvds because it's interesting to see how various folks put together their programs.

This dvd has some good overall exercise selection (though I have reservations about some), decent form pointers but I do have issues regarding safety concerns.

The lack of a more thorough warm-up concerns me. I don't feel there's enough there to properly prepare one for the coming workout. I did a bunch of warm-ups on my own.

Repetition tempo: I like the "idea" of the variety of tempos within the exercises but felt her "singles" are too fast for eccentric loading with these types of exercises and could put a lot of people in unnecessary danger, especially for the deadlifts, pullovers and "biceps" curls (which obviously work all the elbow flexors not just the biceps).

Here's just a few observations regarding certain parts of the dvd.

Dead lift/Bent over rows: Dead lifts are a great full body exercise but Bent over rows, even though very common, aren't a good risk versus reward choice. One arm rows are much safer while still being very beneficial.

Again, the fast single count eccentrics make both the Deadlifts and Bent over rows very high risk and definitely not worth the reward.

Skull crusher/Triceps press combo: Interesting combination to use with Dumbbells. I think that doing the close grip triceps press with a barbell can put unnecessary pressure/stress on the wrists (I did all the exercise w/ DBs).

Seated Lateral Raises: These tend to be safer shoulder exercises than overhead presses for many people so I like her choice of exercise, still I think doing them from a standing position (especially a split stance) is better because you integrate your body more and the feet are a better base of support than the glutes. I think seated positions can put unnecessary stress on the spine.

Abdominals Section:I tend not to be a fan of crunches or oblique crunches because most people don't need extra spinal flexion as it puts unnecessary stress against the intervertebral discs. However if someone is going to do crunches I think they are much safer performed at slow tempos with a sustained contraction and using less reps. On Ripped they are performed at a fairly rapid tempo which can lead to poor form and the use of momentum. I feel that planks, side planks and rollouts are better for training the core's true function with less chance of injury to the spine.
25 people found this helpful