Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 24, 2011
I really enjoyed Alone Together. I'm not a university professor or a technophile -- just an average person with a Blackberry and a Facebook account, and children who played with Furbies when they were all the rage. I found this book to be very thought provoking about how the technology around us affects our relationships, and challenges what it means to be a sentient human being. We used to think that computers could be intelligent but not show emotion, until toys came along that said "I love you" or "I'm scared." Sherry Turkle's discussions of robots and children brought back memories of my daughter's distress when her brothers decided to "kill" a Furby to make it be quiet!

Alone Together also does a great analysis of how our communication has changed - why my children will text me but almost never call; why Facebook feels so real, and what all this technology does to how we communicate the really important intimate messages of life. It is all written beautifully, with a personal touch that makes it accessible.
7 people found this helpful