Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning Moonlight Moonlight Moonlight  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me 29 years, but I'm finally converted!, March 30, 2009
This review is from: Fat Head (DVD)
I've been an avid follower of the low-fat diet craze ever since I started yo-yo dieting in college. After having my son 2 years ago, I was over 215lbs, so I turned to cutting calories and, in August 2008, I started Nutrisystem.

I've lost over 73lbs so far, but after seeing "Fat Head", I'm finally seeing the facts of low-carb diets and I'm off the Nutrisystem wagon. "Fat Head" is a funny and immensely informational documentary that goes into the "bologna" of the low-fat diet craze. Like many people in the US, we're told that fat (especially animal fat) is bad and should be avoided at all costs. Instead, have a piece of bread or a bowl of Special K. "Bologna" says Tom and I believe him!

My father died a few years ago from a heart attack at 55. He went on Atkins about 5 years prior and I remember comments afterwards like "there's no telling what that diet did to his system." Since I can remember though, my father also liked his large share of carbs and battled his love of food and his desire to lose that last stubborn 30lbs. After seeing "Fat Head", I can only now assume that all of those carbs he loved so much were the real culprit behind his heart disease- not the fact that he was on Atkins for 6 months.

Thank you Tom for making me see the light at 29, while I still have time to start making changes that will help insure I see 56.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2009, 7:46:31 PM PST
Mark91345 says:
Sorry about your father's passing. It is noteworthy that others blamed his death on a diet he did FIVE years prior. I wonder how he felt during those six months on Atkins, as well as how his blood pressure was, triglycerides, etc., as at least those would be measurable markers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2009, 9:17:59 PM PST
IbeforeJ says:
Thanks Mark! As I recall, his doctor was surprised at how all of his blood work, bp, etc. were looking good while he was on the diet. As far as how he felt, I think he felt great- especially when he could eat a large steak and not feel guilty about it. :)

Posted on Dec 28, 2011, 8:56:25 PM PST
Dan says:
Hi IbeforeJ. I would love to hear an update on your progress. How goes the low-carb lifestyle?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012, 8:10:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2012, 8:11:21 PM PST
IbeforeJ says:
It's been a tough one- I definitely love some carbs and they're the first thing I go to in times of stress. But, ultimately, I know what is BEST for my body and those are the principles I follow as much as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012, 5:04:38 AM PDT
I hope the best for you, too, IbeforeJ. Though I got the first twenty of my thirty-five extra pounds off with Nutri-systems, I could not stay on that particular diet long enough to get the remaining fifteen. Now, I'm trying to stay away from carbs while keeping myself nourished with protein and fat. It's only been a week and a half, and already I am smaller around the waist, though the weight itself has not gone down much. Hopefully, this will continue to work, however slowly. The slow part I am willing to accept as long as it is permanent and I don't feel weak from hunger. And that is the amazing part - no gnawing hunger pangs!

Good luck to all of us...we deserve it after all our efforts.

Holly

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012, 8:23:30 PM PDT
IbeforeJ says:
That's awesome Holly- congrats on your accomplishments! :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2013, 8:39:02 AM PST
Ken Lau says:
Just as your father love his carbs, it seems Americans cannot cut down on their meat either.
Nobody wants to hear eat more fruits and vegetables.

Posted on Apr 9, 2014, 3:50:14 PM PDT
If you want to reverse Heart disease (atherosclerosis) and make yourself heart attack proof Google Caldwell Essylstein MD and watch his YouTube lectures or read his book. He is the only one who has demonstrated that diet is able to reverse heart disease. Actually I stand corrected Dean Ornish MD also but it is the same diet. Very low fat, only about 10% fat, this means pretty much a vegan diet but also no oils and very low nuts. The fats you get need to be high in omega 3 vs omega 6 fatty acids. Hope this helps. I also did Atkins but got into trouble with my health. I have switched and have made remarkable strides. Dr. Essylstein will tell you why his diet works, which is theory but his long term studies back it up.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›