Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact camera, October 5, 2011
This review is from: Nikon COOLPIX P7100 10.1 MP Digital Camera with 7.1x Optical Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens and 3-Inch Vari-Angle LCD (Camera)
I have been using the P7100 for over a month now. I am familiar with the camera as I used the P7000 before (for one year and since it came out). I did have problems with the P7000, but mainly issues with the lens cover not opening fully and those issues developed very early on. The Coolpix P7100 does not exhibit those problems so it's a great camera. I tested it on a 1000 pictures in one week. It takes wonderful pictures with very appealing and natural colors. Everybody comments on the picture quality. So optics are great.

The camera is user friendly with lots of dials that save time. The predecessors did not have all the dials. I have used the camera in all possible modes and find it responsive. I have captured action pictures such as surfers, bikers, runners, volley ball players and the camera delivers wonderful results with very sharp pictures.

I am not a photographer. I just enjoy taking pictures. But I have taken the time to learn the camera. One can snap some shots without bothering with the manual settings. But it can do so much if the user takes the time to learn its potential; and most photographers who use it as a backup do use those features. It's not to be compared to a DSLR. People often make that mistake. However, the picture quality is very close to that of a DSLR. I know, because people who own DSLR have commented on P7100 pictures being very much like those of a DSLR. It's a very smart camera, as long as it is used as it should. If you don't want to bother with the features available then there are other products on the market, simpler and cheaper or just use an iphone.

I love the long (200mm) zoom which is very useful in some situations. Comparable advanced compacts don't have the long zoom.

The camera performs wonderfully in low light - I often take pictures in difficult light conditions (such as mountain scenes),in very low light, twilight etc., and I am consistently happy with the results. But those features were equally good with the P7000.

The RAW write time has improved from the predecessor and is very acceptable now.

It's always possible to find flaws with a camera. People have different expectations. But I use this camera all the time and I love it. I like to challenge it with hard to do shots and I have fun. I always get good results in my opinion (and several other people who saw my pictures). It is the only camera I use. My SLR is a film camera. I don't see the point of switch to DSLR, not with the P7100.

This camera is fairly new and just because someone owns a DSLR, and perhaps a Nikon DSLR does not imply that this person has carefully taken the time with the P7100. Every product requires an acquaintance time. All I can say is that I like what comes out of this camera and I love the pictures that other people take with this camera; and many people take much better pics than me with that same camera.

The only disappointment for me is the lack of a user's guide; but I use the P7000 guide if I need to refer to it should I forget something. The P7100 has few added features though, such as scenes with effects. For the most part I know the camera and rarely need the book, but for someone new to the camera it might be a problem.

I do recommend this camera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 8:44:22 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 8:24:40 AM PDT
sycamore says:
A review by me is exactly what it is a review by ME! You seem to have a problem with people who like this camera! Just because I like the camera does not mean I need help! If you hate this camera (or hated it because I see you returned it quickly) then this is your own opinion and I don't call you names because of that, or tell you you need help. Everybody is entitled to write a review according to his/her own experience. I just recommended this camera to 2 of my friends who ordered it. So, Mr. Howard, stop being abusive, ok!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 6:38:22 PM PDT
Richard says:
Mr.Kahn, you're being disingenuous and obviously have an ulterior motive. I think people like you should refrain from commenting. BTW, the last camera I bought was a Sony 5 years ago so I don't have any biases. I am just trying to learn what's out there.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:00:57 PM PST
Tankery says:
You say all the right things but I don't agree with all of them. I think it's not too good in low light. I have a G12 and it does much better in low light. The P7100 is slowwwww to shoot in low light as in a city scape. Just my opinion.

Posted on Apr 10, 2013 9:00:38 PM PDT
Good review! If you really like a camera, it's the camera for you, no matter what it can or cannot do. You can put up with its drawbacks, learn how to better operate it, upgrade to a better model or simply use it no matter what. Even the worst of today's cameras can take excellent photos and often it's the skill and perseverance of the photographer that determines success.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2013 5:02:55 AM PDT
sycamore says:
Yes, indeed. I like to work around limitations. It's part of the challenge and it makes it interesting. But this requires taking the time to know your camera. Many people give up to quickly!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›