BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on June 15, 2012
This is my first tomtom and i upgraded from a magellan 1470. I was a loyal magellan fan until I tried their latest 5220LM which froze constantly (i returned it). I tested my new tomtom with a 500 mile trip, and it was flawless. lots of features like lane guide at the major highway interchanges. auto zoom at turns. clear vocal instructions 2 miles, 1/2 mile, and just before turnoffs. at one point I asked it to provide a detour due to construction, and the tomtom confidently mapped an alternate route on the fly. excellent, extensive POI database. love the large 6" screen. good brightness, better than my magellan but still a tiny bit difficult to see on a sunny day with sunglasses. auto rotate when turned upside down (for mounting). Note this is a pure GPS, no other stuff like bluetooth or mp3 player.

setup was simple on a windows pc, you will need to download the "support application" so your pc can recognize the device first, then just connect via usb and follow the directions. you get a free firmware and a map update. After that, you will need to submit a registration code for follow-on (4 per year) map updates. the download itself was large and took me ~1 hour, but as my first tomtom it may be faster for others who know what to do. the update process itself when compared to the magellan was a breeze. the magellan is known for a really poor update process and often results in people bricking their units (just read the reviews). I found the tomtom update is much more flexible and forgiving.

I took away 1 star due to a few feature gaps vs my old 1470. first, the unit it a bit slower response wise than my magellan. for example when you type in an address or select a feature, there's a notable delay. second is due to how the tomtom presents town/city names in a search, which is a bit tedious. the magellan sorts the results based upon your current location. For example if you are in Boston MA and type in "CA", you see Cambridge MA at the top of the list. The tomtom just gives you an alphabetic listing of all towns/cities in the US that matches what you typed, so "CA" will give you every city/town that starts with CA. you have to type in a lot more characters as well as scroll down to find the town and state in the list. third, I was unable to find a full users guide online. it could be that it's so new they don't have one, or they believe one is not needed. all i know is I cant find it easily and this 1605 has a lot of features that a newbee like me would appreciate one being offered. forth, the traffic feature does not work if the unit is on battery alone (e.g. must use the supplied travel cord that has the traffic dongle). fifth, my old 1470 would provide a audible reminder "ding" at the point of making a turn, which i miss.

The unit has an attached suction mount, which you can rotate to be a window or dash mount as the screen will rotate itself. includes usb cable, car charger with built in traffic link, adhesive mount disk (for permanent mounts), code for lifetime maps and a startup guide. No AC wall charger which seems to be the new norm, but you can pickup a cheap converter elsewhere. no idea if you can charge it via the usb cable to your PC, did not try.

In the end I know there's no such thing as a perfect GPS, but so far I like what I see and would recommend this unit. the few gaps vs. my old magellan are small compared to the accuracy and performance which are more important.
66 comments| 199 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?