Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Amazon Experience Centers TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 9, 2010
I had been meaning to finally add that oomph missing from the (very few) action movies I loved, and this tax season I finally found an excuse to see what was available. I already had a good setup [Onkyo TX-SR806 to: fronts, Infinity 3(the Onkyo lets me set the main amps to 6ohms) cabinets and crossover moded with modern heavier magnet woofers and paper-cone tweeters; center, just some full range Bose bookshelf(it works!); sides, Wharfedale CRS 3s; Rear, Wharfedale CRS 5s], but even though music sounded great, even at high volume, the movies just weren't coming through. So I finally considered that wall-shaking bass might be the answer...

It was. And the reason I can satisfactorily report this is thanks to the Polk Audio PSW 505 12" subwoofer. I felt that ordering an affordable subwoofer was likely a mistake and that I should wait for when I could afford a high-end. Well, after getting to know my receiver better and really paying attention to the subwoofer's crossover knob, I am very pleased with its performance from Movies to live jazz. When it's shelved just below the LFE range of your main woofers, it just sings. Punchy? Check. Volume? Check. MY-GOD-WHAT-IS-THIS-WRATH-UPON-US bass reproduction for movie effects? CHECK.

Another reviewer commented that the 'auto' setting(so that you don't have to turn it on and off yourself all of the time) was slow to respond. I haven't had the same experience. I have watched the indicator light with scrutiny as I turn on my receiver and have each time so far had the subwoofer respond to input signal within 1 or 2 seconds.

Basically, if this subwoofer is within your budget, and you want a major upgrade to your(come on, admit it) low-mid-range system, this is the best value that I could find after much research, and I am not partial to brands.
19 people found this helpful