Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop now HTL17_gno

on July 25, 2013
I'm a solid guy in my 40's who's generally athletic - but I have high arches, a wide forefoot, and wear a small sized running shoe. I am not one of those effortless, injury-free runners. I land on the outside of my foot as I run and my feet and lower legs take a beating as I pick up speed and mileage. So my running career has often been a start and stop affair. I've purchased New Balance running shoes for the last few years, particularly since they routinely offer more width options. These were okay, but as I started back into running this spring I was looking for another option. (I had followed the recommendations at our local go-to running store, but I think they default to New Balance for wide feet.) After a good amount of research I bought the Nimbus 15 through Amazon and it has been the best running shoe I've ever worn - by far. I'd never run in Asics before although I've tried many other brands in the past: Nike, NB, Saucony, Brooks, Adidas... The difference for me was immediate and striking. For underpronators (supinators) with high arches the cushioning in this shoe is ideal, yet responsive.

I ordered my normal size in 4E, largest width. Surprisingly, the shoes felt a little loose, so I ordered another pair a half size smaller with the same width. I ended up keeping both pairs and use the smaller size only for running and the half size larger pair for more casual activities.

I guess the price for the Nimbus could be considered steep, but if I can get in a few more runs each month without pain then it is easily worth it for me. My only complaint would be that Asics only offers one of the Nimbus color schemes in the wider options. I even ordered last year's model, the Nimbus 14, as an alternative style, but those shoes don't have the same outside forefoot cushioning for road running.

>> UPDATE at 300 miles of wear. These shoes have held up great after 3 months of regular running on roads, treadmills, and trails. I just finished a Tough Mudder run in Tahoe with a dozen miles of running over rocks, trails, obstacles, mud, and dirt and had no problems at all. These shoes have been great on the roads when running fast intervals or long slow distances. The Nimbus 15 has been the perfect running shoe for me and I hope Asics doesn't mess it up next year.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?