Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars It's the caramel drizzle on your frappacino, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display (Electronics)
In my previous Kindle (2nd generation) review, I called it the cheddar cheese on my omelet and the whipped cream on top of my frappuccino. Can't beat that - or can you? Hmmm... my favorite cold frappe is the caramel kind. If you are very lucky, the barista will drizzle a little extra caramel on top of the whipped cream. Yeah, the 3rd generation is kind of like that caramel. When you see it, you cannot believe your luck and you cannot decide if you should dive right in or take your time and savor it... Amazon has outdone themselves with the new generation. Wow. Wow. Wow. I opted for the wifi only version because I'm rarely without a hotspot and I don't need to use the browser on the go or download a book in a moving car or anything :)

I think you can read the description for yourself so I'll concentrate on the differences. But, overall, reading on a Kindle is like nothing you imagine it will be. I always said that I would never get one. I wanted to keep my paper books and couldn't believe someone would want to read on that computer thing. Now I'm one of the biggest "enablers" of the Kindle. This thing gave my mother back the ability to read all books again (her eyesight is not what it used to be and you can adjust the font from tiny to very large - this is also great for me when I read in bed. I don't have to wear my glasses!). It also allowed me to clean up some of the stuff in my house. I used to hoard books. I still do, but they all fit in one little bitty Kindle now and not on the shelf, under the bed, in drawers, etc etc. But again... the differences, as I see 'em....

Changes from the K2 to the K3 include:

1. Compared with the K2, it feel so tiny and light. The difference is actually small, but it feels so small and light in the hand that I had to lay them side by side to satisfy myself that I didn't get some super secret new tiny Kindle. Hey, it's possible that good old Jeff Bezos wanted me to have the K4 here folks!

2. The next thing I noticed is that I couldn't figure out how to turn the darn thing on. They moved the slider to the bottom. Okay, not loving that, it feels more awkward, but I'm going with the assumption that I won't notice after a few days. Also at the bottom, the charger light is brighter, small change.

3. I thought the text was super crisp on my previous Kindle. Nay. Wow. This is SO MUCH darker. I'm actually shocked at the difference, it's really very significant. I was hemming and hawing over upgrading but this alone makes it work the price of the upgrade. I'd seen photos online, but you simply cannot understand until you see it. It's a huge difference. Did I mention you can choose between 3 fonts? Yeah baby!

4. Gone is the HOME button the right side of the Kindle. FINALLY. I cannot tell you how many times, after 18 months of use, I STILL wanted to use that button to go to the previous page. Bye-bye to my button nemesis! WooHoooooo!! It is replaced with slimmer Next and Previous buttons that are just arrows. I'm still getting used to this as I'm used to pushing slightly inward to change the page, but after several pages, I adapted pretty well.

5. Gone is the joystick. I should say that I didn't hate the joystick. I always thought it was fine. A little finicky, but just fine. What they have given us now is a little four way pad with the select in the middle. I thought this would be a little difficult to navigate, but nope, I have yet to have it go where I didn't want it to go. Fabulous! Along with that the Menu, Back and Home keys are now arranged around the little pad. All very well laid out. It is bit of an adjustment, but just taking the time to get my books settled back in was enough for me to get used to it and I don't even notice it.

6. The keyboard thingy... there has been a little bit of tension in the kindle community about this. Some people are pretty peeved that the number keys are gone. Me? I don't care, you just press the SYM key now to get to them. I don't use the keyboard very often and the numbers even less often so perhaps that's why I don't care. It also leaves a little space between the screen and the keyboard for me to put a little label about what to do if it's lost, but that's my own reasons. I don't see anything wrong with them being gone myself. BUT the keys are GREAT. Pressing them is much easier than on the K2. Oh, you aren't going to be typing 50 words per minute (or even 20) but it's a much more pleasurable experience.

7. The back is ... a little more "grippy" now - not like rubberized or anything, but it's not slick. Gone is the shiny back. I almost missed this because I always read my kindle in a cover/case so I don't really have an opinion. I guess it's good if you read your Kindle naked (which makes me quite... uncomfortable)

Overall this is a GREAT upgrade. I knew I'd like it, but I honestly didn't think I'd be THIS impressed by it. Seriously, get one. So worth it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 29, 2010 1:22:11 AM PDT
Marcin says:
My wife bought me a case for my K3 so that i wouldn't read naked :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2010 5:30:59 AM PDT
@Marcin - Oh, see, such a good wife to help you cover up your electronic bits! LOL, seriously - I actually have the case too, I hope to get the review of that up, but I like it, overall.

Posted on Aug 31, 2010 3:26:16 AM PDT
Lisa Thomas says:
I loved your review. :) Thank you so much!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 3:37:16 AM PDT
I'm so glad you liked it, Lisa! It always makes me smile when someone likes my reviews :) This Kindle really is fabulous!

Posted on Sep 30, 2010 1:43:21 PM PDT
Charity says:
Thanks for addressing the differences between Kindle 2 and Kindle 3. I love my Kindle 2 like cats love cream, but I've been debating if it's really worth upgrading. After all--I love it, so do I really need something "better?" With the display difference, and some of your notes, I think the answer might be yes. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 1:48:40 PM PDT
Charity - glad to help you along there :) I'm nothing if not a Kindle Enabler. *laughing* Seriously, it's a big difference, you will adore it even more than your K2. I gave my K2 to my kids. My daughter is happily reading along on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 5:34:06 AM PST
B. Poe says:
Great review!!! Thank you so much. I am whether or if I wanted to upgrade. I had the Kindle1, & Kindle 2.
Now I have ordered the Kindle 3 (3G) thanks to your review!
Now if I could just decide which one for the friends? Any suggestion?

Again thanks! Your review SOLD ME on the

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 5:54:57 AM PST
You're very welcome, B Poe. I'm not sure I understand "Now if I could just decide which one for the friends?" --- are you purchasing kindles for your friends? It depends on if they really need 3G or not. Like I said, I didn't, we have wifi and live in Austin where it's everywhere and I keep a lot of books on my kindle ready to read :) Glad to help you spend your money *laughing* I really really do like the K3 though, for sure! It's fabulous!

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 9:11:19 AM PST