Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 3, 2012
Got this ASUS RT-N53 on Christmas Eve and got it working in about 15-minutes, then tinkered with the additional SSID's for about another hour the next day. Very pleased with the speed, quick computer access on start-up and now my wife's Compaq Presario CQ-61 with Windows 7 now can access the internet with no issues.

My previous router was the Netgear WNR2000 that I had and worked without many problems for about 4-years. When I got my wife a laptop over a year ago, she had difficulty connecting wirelessly to the internet that often took over twenty minutes to resolve (including rebooting the router). It was just her laptop that was having the problem but then our Panasonic DMP-BD655 Blu-Ray Player with the Netflix feature started taking longer and longer to connect (hardwired to the router). The WNR2000 does have a pretty good Parental Control filter that I was pretty pleased with for the kids but didn't have good time control features. I was researching other Netgear routers and would have gotten the WNDR3800 or WNDR4500 for the faster processor and USB ports for external hard-drives. The ASUS RT-56N router then came on my radar thanks to Amazon's 'other products people bought' when researching this item feature. At about $130 the n56 got better speed ratings (fastest) and customer reviews - however it lacked parental controls and VPN to name a few items. So I went to get my 'wife' one more Christmas present and tried the N53 thinking I would return it if it disappointed me. I am very pleased with my decision and so is my wife! The Netflix issue is also fixed. I have 4-multi-media internet devises and tested movies on them at the same time...I am happy :) (I have Comcast internet as well and my Speedtest.net speeds are now 5mbps faster)

I have a pretty small house, so I cannot give any range comparisons. I have about 8+ wireless connections total, plus the Blu-Ray connected to the router and MagicJack plus. Everything is quickly connected to the internet and speed is quite a bit better than before.

The processor on the N53 is only about 30mhz slower than the N56 and about $50 cheaper and it still provides Gigabit ethernet network connections like the N56. I will use my router savings to go towards an Ethernet drive. I can now set access time to the internet for my kids to assist them with their 'time-management' issues based on their MAC address(s). I can also set-up URL filters but haven't got into that yet. No reboot or dropped connections - but it's only been 1.5 weeks.

I am now a very pleased ASUS network router convert and hope it can be a solution for you too. If not, send it back!
11 comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?