Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars (I CAN Get) Satisfaction... finally!, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Rocksmith Guitar And Bass (Video Game)
(Edit update: Steam is required for this game to run. If you don't already have Steam installed on your computer I recommend you INSTALL Steam FIRST. Get your account setup and working. THEN install this game.) Also, in the folder where Rocksmith installs in Steam is a PDF, RocksmithConfiguration. This goes into great detail on how to tell if the cable and everything is setup properly. Highly recommended reading. Installation does take a while.

I have taught myself many things over the decades so I know it takes time and dedication to start out slow and build skill over time. But for whatever reason I find traditional methods (buying a lesson book or DVD) of learning the guitar too boring for me.

With Rocksmith I don't feel that way. The very first song we start with is "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Stones. I was playing with a band from the get go and I feel that's important for me to maintain interest. It started me off with very simple notes too. I haven't noticed any lag or have had any problems so far.

Rocksmith also has drills called Guitarcade that are unlocked by playing the game. The first Guitarcade unlock is Ducks. Shoot ducks by playing notes. It takes something that could be potentially boring (it would be for me, lol) and makes it fun. There is also a section called Techniques. The first suggested technique is called shifting. Teaching the player how to move up and down the neck. Associated Techniques are the techniques used in the song selected. So with this you can practice the techniques specifically for that song.

If you have had lessons in the past and was bored by it or lost interest in it this could be really great for you too.

Update: The Riff Repeater, allows practicing selected sections of the songs. You can choose from three different ways to practice the section. The sections are shown as a graphic at the top of the page plus the audio is played for each section.

10/31/2012: As songs are becoming harder to play I find myself going to the Riff Repeater much more often. The thing is when you practice the song itself it plays from start to finish., no pausing. Sometimes its easy to get lost. I can use the Riff Repeater to practice the section(s) I'm having trouble with. The cool thing about the Riff Repeater is I'm still playing with the band. I also use Guitarcade and Techniques much more now too.

11/12/2012: When I first started playing Ducks, a Guitarcade game, I played the wrong notes a lot of the time. But as time has went on I have noticed Ducks telling me I'm playing the wrong note, when in fact I'm playing the right note. Its always on the twelfth fret or higher and game shows me as playing one fret higher than I actually am. So I checked my intonation with my TU-15 meter and sure enough the guitar was sharp.

One minor criticism is the interface. I don't know if it was designed this way to accommodate consoles or what, but its a little clunky. For instance, from the Main Menu / Songs. Click on the left arrow next to first album and there are three options. Events, Filter, and Sort. Now I don't know if I'd call finding them an Easter Egg but it sure wasn't readily apparent that there was anything to the left, I just happened to click it (I thought it would just wrap around and I'd go to the last song). What else is hidden I haven't found yet?

01/11/2013: I was having problems with a song that has power cords. I wasn't playing them correctly but I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong. When you play something correctly it (the note or chord) lights up on the games fretboard. If you don't play it correctly it doesn't light up. At the end of the song the game recommended I go to Techniques and practice power chords. When practicing a technique it plays through and doesn't allow for pausing, just like when playing a song. So when having a problem trying to figure out whats going on it's easy to get lost. That's when I switch to my trusty Riff Repeater.

To get to the Riff Repeater its, main menu/songs. Select the song that you want to practice. Choose whether it's single note, combo, or chords and then go across to the Riff Repeater. Then choose the section of the song to practice. After that there are three choices: free speed, leveler, or accelerator. Choosing free speed will stop the song when making a mistake. This has been really great for me. It wont move on until I play the note or chord correctly. It would be very nice if in Techniques there was a free speed choice as well.

01/20/2013: A cool feature is you can adjust the Riff Repeater (Click Pause opens the adjustments menu. Click after tuning up). When selecting accelerator, for instance, you can set mastery and set speed. Set Mastery at 100% and you get all the notes, as you slide the scale back notes are removed to make song easier to play. Set Speed, 100% for songs normal speed and that can be reduced all the way down to 25% speed. So you can really customize how you want to practice the riff.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 4:13:05 PM PDT
Yes, agree with you. I have the same game and I have been in love with it so far. Great way to play songs and learn techinques. The more you practice, more you get used to your guitar and more you get out of the game. Awesome game and great selections of songs. I am very tempted to get queen pack along with police (if I had a bass it will be awesome to have).

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:54:07 AM PST
Smilla says:
Is this Steam? http://store.steampowered.com/

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:24:12 AM PST
yes. You got it. Enjoy.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 6:11:43 PM PST
Crooning Dad says:
Duane- what is the purpose of installing Steam- a game player program. My son screwed up his new notebook by installing one of the video drivers recommended by Steam. Is this really necessary?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 6:53:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 7:06:16 PM PST
Duane says:
Crooning Dad sorry for your problems but Steam is required for the game to run on your computer. Is the new computer Win 8? Well, regardless, searching in the Steam forums should help your problem.

I recommended to install Steam first after reading problems others were having trying to install Steam and this game at the same time. I already had Steam installed on my machine and this game installed right into it with no problems. So that's why I recommended to install it first.

Thank you all for your comments.

I've updated the post to reflect that Steam is required.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:15:48 PM PST
This info was great. I wish I had it when I started. Maybe they should commission you to write an instruction manual...at least I have not found one yet. Thanks for the help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 6:08:25 PM PST
Duane says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write that. :)

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 12:10:45 PM PST
I like the play by play progress report. I'v learned more about the game here then anywhere. Im not too sure about this stean interface. I can't seem to find anything and i'm very new to the game and this may sound silly but how do you exit when your done?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2013 3:59:48 PM PST
Duane says:
Thank you for your comments. To exit the game click "Main Menu" then use your scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll to the end and click exit. You can also left click on the triangular "arrow" to advance left or right. Holding the button down will advance it faster.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 4:34:15 AM PST
Much appreciated. Will Try. I expect there will be more questions in the future. Cheers
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›