BCA Month Beauty Ali: A Life Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on January 21, 2012
I love historical fiction and have always idolized the Kennedys and always wondered what would have happened if JFK had not been killed in '63, how would the world be different? I guessed in this book, if JFK had been allowed to live out his life and be elected again...what would have happened? Since I was 3 when JFK was gunned down (and I think my own memories of that day were the reactions of my parents that made it so indelible on my psyche) but I had always assumed that if JFK and RFK had been allowed to govern the way they were groomed to do, our country and the world would have been a better place. Not necessarily DisneyLand, but better.

Not so, according to Stephen King, who has written a highly imaginative book here that I listened to on Audible and finished today. I like the narrative, liked most of the characters, adored the exceptional love story between adults and, overall, it is a very good book. Yeah, you have to suspend belief for the main conduit of the story being this little invisible stairway to 1958...but that is why we read novels...to be swept up in an imaginary world and go for a walk with a storyteller.

So, while I have no main criticism of the book or the story, I really hated the narrator. Firstly: he cannot do women's voices. And a lot of the men's voices sounded alike and when the reader is just reading narrative, sometimes it sounded like he was having trouble going from that impassive voice to one of the characters' voices. But it is his complete lack of ability to do women's voices well, or even give it a try (!) kinda ruined the book for me a bit. I also don't appreciate overacting~~which this guy does a lot. The only thing impressive to me is that Mr. Wasson was given this job with only 10 or so other books to his credit. I'm sure he will be getting more work since this book is so popular, but I won't seek him out. And I have listened to books because of a narrator before just because I love his voice so much.

So.... overall, from me, the book, its self, gets 4 stars overall, 2 for performance and 5 for story.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink