I bought this from a retail OfficeDepot outlet. OfficeDepot and OfficeMax are the only websites that seem to carry this printer at the moment and only OfficeDepot would actually let me order it -- and it turned out my local OfficeDepot store actually had exactly ONE of these in-stock, which I promptly purchased.
Why? It's perfect for what I needed:
- Wireless to eliminate cable clutter, enable locating it in the most convenient spot, and enable printing from my girlfriend's laptop from anywhere in the house.
- It's a laser printer, so it prints faster and cheaper than an inkjet -- of course there's no color, but if we need that that's what a specialized graphics/photo printer is for. This is just for text and things that don't require color or extremely detailed graphics, which is 99.9% of what I print (the text and graphics are perfectly crisp though, don't get me wrong).
- It's got auto-duplexing, so you don't waste half (the blank back-side) of your paper when you don't need to and don't have to waste time manually flipping the paper with printers that only do manual-duplexing. Saves space, time, and money.
- Easy to set-up via the included CD, assuming you're not totally clue-less with computers. You'll need a USB cable to go between your computer and the printer, or an ethernet cable to go between your router and the printer, to set up the wireless for the first time. No, there's no LCD screen or any way to set it up without your computer, but you can't expect things like that in this price bracket.
- It's cheap. Only printer in the ~$150 price range I could find that's laser with wireless and auto-duplexing.
The only reasons I docked one star from the rating:
- No third-party toner is available yet. Brother made new toner cartridges for these 2200-series models, and finding even that toner is tough. So, there's no ultra-cheap third-party toner available yet (that I can find), but even with the Brother toner cartridges it runs about 3.5 cents per page with the regular cartridge or about 2.5 cents if you get the high-yield. Still pretty good.
- OfficeDepot is the only place you can seem to find this printer anywhere at the moment. I dunno if they got it early, if this model is delayed or discontinued before it's even really come out and I'm a bit afraid I'll end up having a printer I can't find toner/service for at all.
But, assuming I'm supposed to have it, this is the perfect home/home-office/small-business laser printer. Highly recommended (once you can actually find it)!