Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 3, 2014
I bought the Opus BT-C2000 few days ago. NLee the engineer’s review above is very complete (as always from NLee :) ), and accurate from what I have seen so far so I’ll just add my observations.

First impression, this Opus BT-C2000 is a very complete charger/analyzer and is easy to use. I got interested by this charger because it advertised the capability to charge/analyze cells up to 20,000mAh and has C/D cells adapters included in the box. I use high capacity C/D cells, so this looked like the right charger to get the job done. I’ve seen review of C/D cells adapters for other charger which do not fit/clip well in chargers, but the Opus ones are tight are work well. It does handle the C/D cell like any other cells, except for resistance checks (the adapters add resistance leading to wrong readings…)

The charger has thermal sensors for both the batteries and the unit itself. Info from the user manual, (I don’t have the tools to verify…), if it detects a temperature of 60deg on a cell, it will pause the on-going operation to let the cell cool down. If it detects a temperature of 70deg in the unit, it will also pause the operation to allow cooling down. This is very nice to prevent damaging the cells or the unit.

From an analysis I’ve read, the charge is gentle and seems to give a very nice and delicate finish, adjusting the charge rate toward the end. This good technical analysis can be read on candlepowerforums dot com. I would recommend googling it if interested in more technical details (simple google search “Opus BT-C2000 review”).

Once the charge is completed, it goes to a 10 to 15mA rate (seems to be depending of the type of cell being charged), just to maintain its level (I would still not leave the cells there for long periods...).

The charge function is set to 400mAh as default, but can be increased to 1000mAh if the 4 slots are used, or 1400mAh if slots 1 and 4 are used for C/D cells with the adapters. This is good for high capacity C/D cells, but still a little long to get a full charge. Being a high capacity D cell user, I would like a bit more, like 2000mAh. But 1400mAh still gets the job done. One observation, when charging my high capacity D cells, it seems to be hovering between 1100-1250mAh, not 1400mAh constant. But still does a good job at handling the charge smoothly. Another observation, I charged Imedion C cells at 800mAh and at this rate, the current was very stable on 800 until going into “finishing mode”.

The charge-test function will analyze the capacity of a battery by charging, discharging and re-charging the cell. The mAh values after the discharge function are kept on the display, allowing keeping note even after the cycle is completed.

The quick check function measure the internal resistance of a cell in milliohms. One good point, it can measure alkaline batteries as well. I actually had a bunch of alkalines on the shelf and I check them all for voltage & internal resistance, I found out many were too low V or too high ohms to be used.

Overall, a very good, useful and complete unit. My only few complains would be: I wish the slots were C and D cell sized instead of using an adapter, it would allow charging and testing 4 D cell (or 4 C cells) at the same time instead of only 2, and I wish the charge rate would go to 2000mAh to address high capacity cells a bit faster. There might also be some work to be done on the algorithms for high current charge as it does not seem stable. But these are minor “nice to have” and it’s not enough to lower my rating. The overall unit is very good… I give a fair 5 stars to the product.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?