Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 27, 2014
This book is awesome. You can tell Mr. Kochan is a no nonsense sort of person, or at least his teaching style is. He's very much in key when it comes to teaching nothing but the objective C language. I began reading the Big Nerd Ranch guide 2nd edition and progressed to 23 chapters before looking here. It's funny because every time I was confused, I used the 3rd edition guide by Kochan to answer some of my questions....then I realized I should be reading this book! I was skeptical at first because the book didn't seem as inviting as the BNR guide but the information was right to the point and succinct.

Mr. Kochan said something that I highly appreciate looking back now(by that I mean after reading most of the BNR guide): 1. is "I am going to teach you the objective-C language, .....not iOS or the frameworks or anything else, the focus is the language".
For you new OBJ-C programmers, I am telling you now....this is what you need. In the BNR guide, it's an excellent resource but Aaron Hillegass tries teaching you the C language first, then objective-c..... not too mention that the exercises in the BNR guide require a good amount of outside research, iOS design and many other aspects all in the confines of only a couple hundred pages. That's why there's so much to learn in any given chapter. I especially didn't see the need in learning C first, not that it isn't helpful but rather the little we did learn was only enough to confuse you because you don't become proficient in C you just learn its basic syntax which apparently OBJ-C is built off of...(I didn't feel so necessarily, but anyway).....I will say that in the BNR guides defense that it's a little simpler introduction but there's a point in that book that goes from 60 to 150mph in two pages....and believe me the challenges can get insane. I like the challenges in this book because their directly built off of whats learned in the chapter and more than that I enjoy them.

It's unfortunate because people here are rating this book at 2-4 stars because they can't download it (which is a systems problem not the authors) or because it doesn't teach iOS programming. Mr. Kochan says that explicitly in the preface of the book which can be downloaded free in sample form! I am not saying this book is perfect or isn't challenging, it is, but from a programmers perspective I Know now what I needed and it's in this book.

I wish in fact he hadn't talked about iOS programming period and maybe explained some more advanced Objective-C principles but it was still a good intro. The truth is objectiv-c and it's cocoa frameworks is 40 years in the making, there is so much to learn....I'd rather have the foundation to a home rather than a complete shack. I hate to sound like a BNR hater because I did learn quite a bit but not in comparison to this book. Objective-C is hard, challenging, and can be annoying at times but once you learn the language it's fun and you'll find your self spending hours on it. Believe me.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book. Nuff' said.
0Comment| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?