Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Harold, creator of worlds...., February 16, 2002
This review is from: Harold and the Purple Crayon (Hardcover)
Yes, I am a 45 year old man writing a review for a children's book, and, no, I do not think that I ought to be ashamed of myself. A short while ago I stumbled upon a copy of this book by accident and I could't believe the flood of warm and pleasant memories that it brought back. This was perhaps my favorite childhood book, along with the sequels. Maybe this was because from my earliest memories I always wanted to be an artist, and that is what Harold was, an artist with a magic purple crayon. He was more than an artist, he was a creator of worlds. That was important, he wasn't presented as a trivial person doing "art", he was the creative force behind whole new worlds. Or "co-creator", for he often seemed as surprised as the reader at what flowed out of that crayon. While I didn't become an artist, I did work for most of my life as a draftsman and designer. I've seen many, many things in the real world start life as a drawing on my board or computer screen. I think that I kept faith with Harold....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 25, 2010 5:20:24 AM PDT
Great review! You summed it perfectly by saying many things in life start out on the drawing board from the seed of someone's imagination! Harold was one of my favorite books too, and I've never forgotten him! :-) I'm looking forward to reading it again to my grandchildren!

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 9:54:29 AM PST
I loved your review! I am sad to say I've never read this book and am much younger :( I feel deprived of a good book! But, your review prompted me to buy the book for my kids. I liked how you said it portrayed the character as a creator, a creator of worlds, not an artist. Seems so many books trivalize the children and their actions rather than seeing the marvel and wonder. So thank you, and I know my boys will as well (my four year old already designs rockets for cars)...

Posted on May 16, 2011 1:38:07 PM PDT
K. Daniels says:
No, you have no reason to be ashamed of yourself...sometimes everything we need to know we really DID learn in Kindergarten, which was probably the first time I met Harold. Never thought about him as a "creator of worlds", but you're right, he is. Smart little guy...I certainly remember reading the book and going, wow, wish I had that crayon - so I had a grasp of what he was doing and what he was creating, but I never quite put it together as you did. Think I'll head out and buy a copy!

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 6:10:40 AM PST
Liz Mc says:
Great review!! I actually never read this as a child but am definitely going to get it for my boys. Looking forward to discovering Harold's world with my own little budding artists!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 2:49:34 AM PST
My 35 year old son just asked me to get him a copy of this book, because he and his wife are expecting a baby boy, and she has not yet met Harold. It was one of my favorite books to read to him when he was little, but I had no idea it was THE favorite (well, except Goodnight Moon) until now. Your review is wonderful. Thank you.

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 1:30:06 PM PDT
soumya says:
One of the best reviews i have ever read! being an artist, makes me want to buy this book for my daughter :)

Posted on Sep 24, 2014 10:52:07 AM PDT
ari180 says:
Let me add my kudos to the pile (12 years later).
It's a rare review that really inspires, as well as informs.
"Harold" is truly magic, in the way that the very best books, like the very best relationships, are, transcending the mundane world, and showing us just what we're capable of when we're at our best.
You've done it justice, and hopefully have ensured that magic will be given to a few more kids who will benefit.
Thank you for that.

Posted on Oct 11, 2014 12:46:36 PM PDT
Fantastic review! My daughter is turning 6 this coming week and your review has convinced me that this book will be a wonderful birthday gift. Thanks you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 4:37:28 AM PST
Chrys says:
They have a cartoon now. I accidentally stumbled upon it and it brought memories flooded back. I judge you not for enjoying a children's story at 45. How can I when I at 21 still enjoy curling up with one myself (usually with my niece or nephew in my lap)? With a story such as this, I think it's appropriate for all ages, just as a reminder to dream, inspire, and use our imaginations. So many people forget how to use their own these days. This book inspired so many of us when we were younger, and how many of us have forgotten. I'm getting this for my niece and nephew, and hope that they can for the rest of their lives, inspire, imagine, and dream.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›