Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

3.0 out of 5 stars PC vresion: Great graphics/gameplay, but has some critical flaws, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Dead Space 3 Limited Edition (Video Game)
The good:

The graphics are fantastic. The interiors are meticulously crafted with great attention to detail, and the exteriors are absolutely breathtaking.

The game works fine on Windows 8. This is one of the few games where I bought the initial release and did not experience major performance bugs. In fact, I have played through twice without incidents which are not related to internet connectivity.

The custom weapons crafting is great. You can construct weapons with two fundamentally different functions. My personal favorite is a rivet chain gun with a force gun. There is a LOT of intense, close combat with multiple creatures. The force gun blows them back several feet, and the chain gun wipes them out with great efficiency. There are also instances (although relatively few) where a long range weapon comes in handy. A Seeker Rifle with a missile launcher is tremendous for these opportunities. One can create a very wide variety of different, very effective, weapons that have their uses in some of the unique situations in the game, and are just plain fun!

This game is SCARY! I'm over 50, and easily startled, but I still find a certain exhilaration from the creative (and often unforeseen) ambushes by some extremely well-designed monsters which come in a refreshingly wide variety.

The game provides a number of different strategies and tactics for different players' personalities. Oldsters like me with bad reflexes can beat the game just as well as the younger players.

The Bad:

So, why only 3 stars?

There are two design flaws in this game that I find extremely annoying, and make no sense, whatsoever.

First, the game has an automated progress save feature, and no manual progress save feature. There is NO excuse for this. It should be up to ME when to save my progress, not the developers.

Secondly, the game requires an active internet connection to start and play. I have a wireless network, and when my connection gets interrupted the game freezes during combat sequences. This just serves to magnify my irritation with the automatic saves, since I have to exit, reconnect, and then restart at a point BEFORE I lost my connection. There is no excuse for this, either. In the single-player campaign, there is NO practical reason to require an active internet connection.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the guidelines and FAQs here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2013, 3:44:39 AM PDT
Frank Smith says:
Thanks for the warning about the auto-save+internet-requirement. Manual save is something essential in games where you can customize gear. Such a shame.

Posted on Jul 12, 2013, 8:27:39 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 29, 2015, 1:36:10 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 26, 2013, 6:57:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2013, 6:58:02 PM PST
Yes there is no manual save main problem but I'm not so sure about the internet part
I launched the game without internet when origan was in offline mod so try it with origan in offline mode and it should stop that from happening
And this game is a 3rd person shooter not a first person shooter

Posted on Jul 18, 2014, 11:56:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2014, 12:01:16 PM PDT
uspsman says:
Well stated review! I have been considering a purchase, and based on your comments and experience, I will go for it. Chalk me up as another 54yo Dead Spacer!

EDIT-What I mean is AFTER I finish Skyrim..that may be awhile...

Posted on May 16, 2017, 7:07:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2017, 7:07:39 AM PDT
C. Johnson says:
Thanks for the heads up on the automatic save "feature". I hate when developers do this. I have been eyeing this game since it came out since playing the first two on console. It got mixed reviews which is why I held off until now. But at the low price now, I think I'll give it a shot, I hope the automatic save feature does not ruin my experience too much though. My PC is hard wired to my network so I hope I don't have issues with the internet connection dropping.

I'm an older gamer as well. I turned 40 this year. LOL